PDA

View Full Version : Stock inletting

TheAlmightyBob
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Not sure where to put this topic, so I just stuck it in here. Please move it if need be.

Anyways, I've been going through the picture threads and a few others admiring the homemade stocks. Lots of beautiful work with many kinds of wood. My question is How do you inlet your own stocks? Do you have a jig? Or is it a little bit cutting and then a lot of sanding and test fitting?

Thanks,
Bob

stangfish
03-20-2013, 12:19 PM
I have seen some guys make a jig for a router and some use a mill. I too am interested as I believe the woodwork to be a real art.

RSG
03-20-2013, 01:28 PM
I made two jigs for a 1/2 shank router. I use a box cutter router bit in 1 1/4 in one jig and a 1 inch radus in the second. I got the bit on E-bay (2 of each).
RSG

tinkerer
03-20-2013, 07:08 PM
First, I drill 1/2" dia. hole for front action hole, 3/8" for rear.

The barrel is 1.3" OD. I use a 1.25" diameter half round.

The trigger works varies depending on model and type, but I generally use a 1/2" dado bit 2" long. My actions (Striker) are 1.7" to bottom of linkage, trigger is 2.5" deep.

Barrel starts at 1" dia. Depending on profile, I may use that or 3/4" and a dremel tool for final fit.

I use a carriage for my router so its just a mark, plunge and pull gently. Lots of times I drill the corners to final depth and route out box.

Exterior is all table saw, band saw, table belt sander and rasps and sandpaper.

Lots of work, but I don't have a mill, which would be ideal. I DO enjoy woodwork though, very calming.

Larry
Tinkerer