PDA

View Full Version : messed up bullet tips.

n6nvr
03-20-2013, 05:43 AM
Was given some new un-opened boxes of Remington Core-Lokt 165 grn in 30-06. Fairly new, he was going to use it in his Garand but decided he wanted to stick with M2 Ball for the time being. Opened the boxes up and some of the bullets have slid in the cartridge carriers and banged up the lead noses. Some are ok and some are quite visibly flattened or offset to the side. I figured that I could use them for fun as trying to get them all the same could be an exercise in futility. Thinking of chucking them in a drill press or 1/2" drill and turning slowly in steel wool to at least get them round again. I figure, guessing actually, that trying to get a reasonable group past 100 yards is not really possible, as they, so far, all appear to be slightly different.

Any ideas? Other than have fun with them and use the brass for reloading. I have a 116 Weather Warrior., 03A1 and Garand, so it's not like I can't use them for "plinking" or close range stuff. But I wouldn't expect miracles on a "money" shot of some kind.

palerider338
03-20-2013, 09:18 AM
They must have been on the same pallet as the 180's I got. :mad2:. Gotta love those stock boys and baggage gorillas.

FW Conch
03-20-2013, 10:19 AM
A couple years ago, I believe it was in "Handloader Magazine", they had an article about damaged bullet tips. They did everything they could to mess up the tips, hit them with a hammer, smashed them in a vise, cut an angle on them with a grinder, etc. The result was, the damaged tips "had almost no affect on the bullet flight"! I was surprised! However, they discovered that "any" damage at all to the "base" of a bullet will cause it to go severely off flight. I know some bench shooters trim the meplants on they're VLD bullets to make them perfect, but according to the testing mentioned, "it is not necessary". Shoot yours and let us know how they group :) !..Good Luck..Jim

762X51
03-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Here's a link to all you could ever want to know about the subject...
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot49.htm

rattfink
03-20-2013, 12:42 PM
I have used cor lokts that were hammer flat on the tip from poor handling. They shot minute of heart/ lungs from a hundred yards all day long from an old 30-30 lever gun with peep sights. I did in fact manage to hit a running doe with one at 75 yards and she couldn't tell the difference between them and a fancy perfect ballistic tip.

Incidentaly, I have heard recently that the tip of the bullet is less relevant to stable flight than the balance of the bullet and the tail. That's why high end hollow point match target bullets can have inconsistent tips yet shoot very well.

03mossy
03-20-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't think I have ever got a box of cor lokts that the tips wern't banged up. they still shoot fine. They are some explosive bullets! Last deer I shot with them was the 180 grainers out of my .300 weatherby at about 30 yards through the lungs....Yeah it was a mess

stangfish
03-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't think I have ever got a box of cor lokts that the tips wern't banged up. they still shoot fine. They are some explosive bullets!

They use a pair of Kliens to cut of the tip from th factory.

ellobo
03-21-2013, 12:39 AM
I do as stnagfish does, just clip them off with the cutters then swipe a file acros them perpendicular to the center line and they work fine. The core-loct may not be the best bullet around for accuracy but they are good enough for hunting and out to 300 yds they are lethal on just about anything in a 30-06. And they shoot just under MOA in my .35 Whelen.

El Lobo

squirrelsniper
03-21-2013, 04:15 AM
I once did my own testing at 100yds with Core-Lokt and some Winchester PSPs. I picked out some that had severely deformed tips and some tips as good as you're going to get with such cheap bullets. The result: it didn't make any noticeable difference in accuracy. So basically, for the purpose they're meant for (primarily medium and large game at 200yds or less) they're just fine.

So-called "experts" tell me that in flight there's actually very little air flow over the tip of the bullet. It's basically compressing the air and forming something akin to a bubble just in front of the nose. It's the same reason you can shoot through rain and snow without it knocking the bullet off target; the pressure wave in front of the bullet pushes everything out of the way.