PDA

View Full Version : barrel upside down?

limige
03-19-2013, 10:52 PM
I bought an action for a stock/barrel i had laying around. When i set it with the hesdspace gage the writing is all upside down like its 1/2 turn off. They arent double threaded right? So its just stuck like that? Nothing i can do right?!

stangfish
03-19-2013, 11:01 PM
There are a couple of things you can do and none of them cheap. Not worth messing with. I am willing to bet many of the members of this forum have one very similar to that.

fgw_in_fla
03-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Every one of mine that's had a barrel change is like that.

No need to see the stamp. I know what it is.

limige
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Ok just wanted to be certain

drybean
03-19-2013, 11:20 PM
I have never done a bbl change were the
rolemarks came out in the correct spot
if the headspace is set correct ,nothing to worry about

drybean

limige
03-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Its too bad you cant adjust the bolthead and shim the barrel so the writing is up.

sinman
03-20-2013, 12:04 AM
You can set the barrel back and cut the chamber deeper to line it up if you really wanted to.

Berniep
03-20-2013, 09:29 AM
You can set the barrel back and cut the chamber deeper to line it up if you really wanted to.
Havent seen a savage barrel before so this is probably is silly question. Can you just face off the chamber end of the barrel and run a reamer deeper? Is there enough threads/room to do a 1/2 to 3/4 turn of the barrel? I think I could do this on my lathe at home if I didnt have to worry about cutting new threads. Not too good at threads yet.

sinman
03-20-2013, 09:39 AM
There is usually enough extra threads to time a barrel. Do you have a 4 jaw or 6 jaw scroll chuck, indicating rods, headspace gauges and a reamer? If not I wouldn't do it at home.

Berniep
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
There is usually enough extra threads to time a barrel. Do you have a 4 jaw or 6 jaw scroll chuck, indicating rods, headspace gauges and a reamer? If not I wouldn't do it at home.
Indicators? check, 4 jaw chuck? check, ingenuity? check, headspace guages? its a go, time to set up the lathe on a regular basis to cut threads so I get pretty good at it NOPE.
Maybe when I retire I will get the time to do all this stuff but in the meantime I was just wondering about the operation itself. It seems as simple as facing off whatever amount equals the amount of turn the barrel needs and running the reamer in that same amount. Just making sure I wasnt missing anything. Mainly because I think having the stamp upside down or even on top would bother me in some cases. I would want covered by the stock or in the correct position.