PDA

View Full Version : 10/110 frcp 338

fdennis
03-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Would a 10/110 338 be a satisfactory basis (not perfect, just ok) for a switch barrel for other calibers, such as 300wm, 308, 7mm mag,6.5/284, 223.? I know the bolt head needs to be changed but will these smaller calibers work with the rest of the metal, i.e., the : magazine, and anything else I can't think of. If, as I suspect, we would need a different magazine for shorter calibers, are they readily available? If so, from whom? Thanks.

ellobo
03-20-2013, 01:18 AM
You can barrel for just about anything with a long action but not the other way around. There are many guys on here that use only long actions for just about everything. Adding a filler to the rear of a magazine to take up the space will work for shorter cartridges. Other than that I think all you wll need is the barrel, a barrel nut wrench and an action wrench and headspace guages.

El Lobo

fdennis
03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks a lot, El Lobo. That's what I thought, but the warning at the end of the "What fits" list has me concerned. I don't know what it means, unless the warning applies to using cartridges that are smaller (therefore "fit) than the listed bolt head size, without changing the bolt head. I'm assuming that a bolt head change is all that is needed to shoot cartridges that are the approx same OAL. But then there is the magazine to consider. A 308 is 2.5" OAL, or so, and the 338 is 3.6" give or take. So a 308 will fit in a 338 magazine, but will the 338 magazine be way too long? Since the 10/110 FCP comes in 308 I wonder, is the magazine for the 308 the same as for the 338? If it isn't I'm assuming that 308 sized magazines are available. But what about even shorter cartridges? The 223 is approx 2.25" OAL--even a little longer for heavier bullets. Will a 308 magazine be suitable for 223? Or does someone make a 223 sized magazine that is a drop in for the 10/110? I suppose the easiier (more practical) solution is to start with a 300 WM, but it seems to me it is easier to go down in size rather than up. What do you think? Thanks.

ellobo
03-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Going to a .223 from many other cartridges you will need a new bolt head and magazine. IN the FAQ's here there is a list of what cartridge head sizes are to see what bolt head change you need. What .338 are you lalking about, there are several. What cartridge to change to is a function of what you want to do with it, Target or hunting or both. What distance do you anticipate your shots to be? If long, will your cartridge of choice have enough velocity left to penetrate and expand for clean kill. Those are some things to consider but by all means not all of them.

El Lobo