PDA

View Full Version : Help me with barrel swap tools.....Please

quarterbore
03-19-2013, 08:30 PM
I came across a pic a couple days ago on here of a guy that built a rig for changing barrels. I have just gotten into Savage rifles and already find myself needing to swap barrels out. The first rifle already has the barrel loose so no problem there, but when my new barrel gets here I will need to install it. I don't mind spending the money on the tools, I just want to make sure I buy the right ones. I was on Brownells and saw there were 2 different action wrenches. Anybody got a good link to a action wrench and barrel nut wrench?

quarterbore
03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Gotta start doing more research. NSS has them for $60 and a barrel nut wrench for $25. Now that I have figured that out, will I need a barrel vise, or does the action wrench take place of that?

quarterbore
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Well I just got off the phone with Jim at NSS and I'm good to go now. Guess I didn't need to start a thread for this afterall.

ellobo
03-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Jim is great isnt he? If you already have the barrel loose all you need is a nut wrench and guages to do headspace.

El Lobo

limige
03-20-2013, 02:06 AM
I bought both wrenches from midway for $26. Then milled a piece of metal .44x.90 to fit inside the action, put this in a vice to slide the action over for final tightening. Removed the ejector pin put the go gage in the chamber tightened the barrel by hand with the wrench then removed the gage and bolt before sliding it on my piece of metal and use the wrench and a dead blow for final torque. Reassembled and double check with your gages and done. Mount scope and shoot tomorrow.

jhelmuth
03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
quarterbore.... got the .223 Go gauge out to you this morning. Shipping was cheap - just return ASAP.

BRIAN G
03-20-2013, 12:03 PM
If you put your action into the action wrench, then chuck it into a bench vise you can spin the nut and barrel off without the need of a barrel vise. Cuts down on 1 thing you have to buy.... if you have a bench vise.

quarterbore
03-20-2013, 06:09 PM
quarterbore.... got the .223 Go gauge out to you this morning. Shipping was cheap - just return ASAP.

Looks like both my barrel and tools will be here the beginning of next week. As soon as I get them I will install the barrel and get the gauge sent back to you. I really appreciate all your help.