PDA

View Full Version : Which scope suits my needs better?

SCguy
03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
I have a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor that I need to buy a scope for. I've narrowed it down to 2 Scopes. I will mostly be shooting targets and hunting(deer and coyotes). I, like most shooters would say that I plan to shoot to 1000 yards, but honestly, I will rarely be shooting past 600, and on deer, probably not much past 400(when I feel confident in my shooting / load). Would only be ringing steel at 1000 most likely.
1. Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44
Pros: Higher magnification, great warranty and customer service, Side focus, exposed elevation turret.

Cons: glass not as good, 1/2 moa elevation adjustments, Turrets dont measure up to the SS, SFP

2. SWFA SS 3-9x42
Pros: great glass, good warranty, great turrets, FFP, highly recommended
Cons: no AO (most say unnecessary under 10x), lower magnification( will the better glass offset this?)

What do you think? Also, what height TPS TSR rings on a 20 moa EGW base? Can I get away with super-low on the SWFA?

Thanks,

RD

JCalhoun
03-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Is there a reason for choosing between these two. There are a lot of good scopes on the market. What is your budget?

rjtfroggy
03-21-2013, 05:19 PM
I have 6 SS scopes all fixed power but same quality and I tell those that are interested that if they want high quality scope for reasonable (low) cost don't hesitate to buy the SS.
I have had Br shooters and tactical shooters walk away shaking their head after looking through and then finding out what I paid for my 6x and my 20x scopes.
If they made a 32 or 36x it would find a home on my bench gun.

SCguy
03-25-2013, 08:21 PM
Ended up going with the SWFA SS 3-9x42. Found one used for a good deal and ordered some TPS TSR 30mm low rings also. Should be set soon!

RD

Tarheelpwr
04-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I have a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor that I need to buy a scope for. I've narrowed it down to 2 Scopes. I will mostly be shooting targets and hunting(deer and coyotes). I, like most shooters would say that I plan to shoot to 1000 yards, but honestly, I will rarely be shooting past 600, and on deer, probably not much past 400(when I feel confident in my shooting / load). Would only be ringing steel at 1000 most likely.
1. Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44
Pros: Higher magnification, great warranty and customer service, Side focus, exposed elevation turret.

Cons: glass not as good, 1/2 moa elevation adjustments, Turrets dont measure up to the SS, SFP

2. SWFA SS 3-9x42
Pros: great glass, good warranty, great turrets, FFP, highly recommended
Cons: no AO (most say unnecessary under 10x), lower magnification( will the better glass offset this?)

What do you think? Also, what height TPS TSR rings on a 20 moa EGW base? Can I get away with super-low on the SWFA?

Thanks,

RD

Just FYI; keep in mind SS has a new 3-15 mil quad FFP yada yada yada coming out end of this month. It's only $700. As per Skylar, it's made at the traditional fixed plant and they won't let him see it yet. Either way I'd wait or talk to them about it unless you need a scope tomorrow.

SCguy
04-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Well, unfortunately, I purchased a SWFA SS 3-9x42 the Day before they announced this scope. Oh well, probably will move to this model, just waiting on some reviews.
RD