PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a barrel. Guidance please!?!

t_wet20
03-18-2013, 09:02 PM
I have a Stevens 200 25-06. Looking to swap out the factory barrel with a longer varmint/bull barrel. Anybody know where to find one of these?? Also, I'm fairly new to this website so I wasn't quite sure where to post this question. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

bootsmcguire
03-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Make a call to Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply. He is a sponsor here. Ask him about the CBI brand barrels or Shilen. If anyone can get you a good aftermarket barrel, Jim can. Otherwise become a paid member here so you can watch the member's only classifed section and pick up a used one. there have been a couple Savage factory take offs roll through in the past couple months.

65impala
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
http://www.mcgowenoutlet.com/prefits/savage.html

I absolutely LOVE my McGowen barrel and the prices are very good for the quality you get.

snowgetter1
03-19-2013, 01:00 AM
I have picked up two used Savage 25-06 varmint barrels over time in the classifieds here for very reasonable prices. Both were/are excellent shooters.

sinman
03-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Keep an eye open for a BVSS barrel, stainless fluted and usually around 100-150 bucks. I've sold 4 of them at least.

t_wet20
03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Do I have to become a paid member to view classifieds?

bootsmcguire
03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Yup, its one of the perks of paid membership. You should be able to see the "Vendor Classifieds" as a non-paid member, but the "Members Classifieds" are for paid memebers only. Personally one of the best gun investments I've made. I have gotten tons of deals in there, and sold the stuff I didn't need.

big honkin jeep
03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Hopefully not too far off topic.
I'm not sure what your reasons are for wanting to swap out the barrel but I just thought I'd throw this out there. I have a 110 in my safe with a 22" sporter barrel that was very finicky and I could never find the sweet spot with my loads. This rifle was range tested quite a bit trying lots of different combinations and took plenty of whitetails with a load (IMR4350) that was shooting just under an inch and I thought that was as good as it was capable of. Then I found Reloader 22 and did a ladder test with 110gr accubonds. WOW that was the only thing that was missing all along. Now consistently under 1/2" with darn near as many bullets as I care to stack and dead center every time and it sends quite a few "custom rifle guys" either asking what I'm shooting, or redfaced and packing. I have had some very interesting trade offers at the range after letting strangers shoot her but seeing as how I put this rig together for my son when he was just a kid it won't be going anywhere.
I also have a 110FP in 25-06 with the 24"bull barrel that's a sweet shooter but again the reloader 22 made a huge difference.
If it's an accuracy thing don't count out the sporter barrels as they can be amazingly accurate and depending on the use of the rifle are a whole lot easier to handle and to hump in the field.
Just an additional $.02 opinion and maybe worth checking into.