PDA

View Full Version : savage mod 10 fxp 308

okie2
03-18-2013, 03:59 PM
are these a piece of crap or what
I just bought one from walmart $384.00
with 2 differert scopes on it it will not shoot better than a 3.5 group
I pulled the barrel an inspected everything all looks good reset head space and still shoots the same.
barrel is floated ok. All screws tight stock and scope mounts.
one group shot with federal match 150 grain the other with a hand load that shoots bug holes in my
ruger 308 target rifle.
should I be looking for a new barrel?

stomp442
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Every rifle is different and what shoots good in one may not in the other. Im willing to bet that once you tune a load to that rifle it will shoot fine. Keep after it.

stangfish
03-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Can you give us the brand and model of the scopes. What weight bullet was the second loaded with

sixonetonoffun
03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
They get $447 for em here. You got a bargain lol! Been wanting one myself.

Kill N Grill
03-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I would swap the scope and make sure bases and rings are good to go. shoot a couple different factory loads. federals, remingtons and maybe hornady. try a couple different bullet weights also. I know it's a tuff time to find it.

eddiesindian
03-19-2013, 09:40 PM
time and $$$ spent on load development "usually" equals consistant and accurate patterns....course, as said before.....finding components is a tuff one for sure.

ellobo
03-20-2013, 01:31 AM
Try 168 gr bullets. They seem to give the best out of the box results. I think as you shoot more your groups will tighten up as the barrel breaks in. You have probably fired enough shots for initial break in so now try some groups without cleaning the barrel and see what happens. Most guys will tell you here to not clean the barrel until accuracy drops off once you have fired a goodly number of shots. It will vary from barrel to barrel.

El Lobo