PDA

View Full Version : New (first) SAVAGE on the way. Some questions for the veterans here...

FishinFool
03-17-2013, 10:31 PM
New BTCSS .223 should arrive in a few days!, Questions

Am very eager to be new Savage 12 owner. Just interested in paper-punching small groups. I reload for.223 already and shoot 69 Nos CC almost exclusively. All shooting semi-auto so far. With this bolt gun does anyone know the best COAL with Barnes 68-69 MB,s and Barnes 52-53 MB's? (Sorry, in the garage but I can't remember which exact weight they are.)

I found these Barnes Match-Burners on a lucky search of a site since it seems EVERY Nos. 69cc has been gone for a month or more. (How about this reloading supply panic? Are we having fun yet?)

Am hoping to work out to 500 yds. with this barrel and also get a high-grade .308 tube for exploring LR-Shooting a little later. The brilliance of having such a sensible routine to switch calibers was a big factor in the purchase.

In the same vein, does someone know definitively what the Throat-Length will be in this pipe?

Semi-Auto gun is 1-8 @ 18". BTCSS is 1-9 @ 26"..... This should be interesting getting back to cooking some loads for testing. Any "pet loads" out there that these Savages generally love?

Thanks for all input and standing by.

n4ue
03-18-2013, 12:59 PM
FF, congrats on the new rifle. If it shoots 1/2 as good as my Model 12 single shot, you'll love it.
I have many .223s. My Colt HBAR 1:7 twist, loves the 69 gr bullets. It will shoot those loads better than my buddies varmint rifle.
However, my M12 also a 1:9, loves the Sierra 52 gr HPBT. It wears a Millett LRS-1 scope and is a one hole shooter. I let a few people shoot it and although it's very heavy and intimidating looking, once they experience the .22 LR recoil, they love it!
The AR is more fond of the heavier pills. Of course, only your rifle can tell you what it likes.

As far as the OAL goes..... I have a small machine shop and make a lot of my own tools. I would say invest in a Stony Point guage. This will allow you to seat the bullet to your liking. OR, you can use the 'ole method of getting a bullet to lightly grip a fired case and run the bolt in.

If you PM me, I will be happy to share my recipe and OAL. I hesitate to publish loads without all the caveats. Just society anymore...
BTW, I use nothing but coated bullets in all my rifles, but the desired effect was reduced fouling and bbl life, the accuracy was a nice benefit, but since I have never fired an uncoated bullet from any of my Savages, I can't say the accuracy is better or worse! ha ha
It does drop the velocity about 50 fps, but I can live with that.....

n4ue@arrl.net

regards, ron