PDA

View Full Version : Found a Savage 111fc. Have questions and need help

chuckles79
03-16-2013, 09:14 PM
I was looking at the 111 trophy hunter or the 111 hunter packages. Well today I went to Cabela's, Dicks, and gander mountain to check them out and price them. Most were 500 or more then I went to Dicks and the gun salesperson told me she had a 2 year old clearance 30-06 in the back I should look at. It was a 111 FC. Its no longer on the website and was a black synthetic, without an accutrigger and a detachable magazine. They were only wanting $359.00 and she said it was actually the same price as the axis line but way more gun for the money. I'm thinking about buying it but I wanted the accutrigger. can i upgrade later with the accutrigger or is it like the Stevens and cant be done due to the receiver design(think i read the Stevens is an older pre accuctriger designed 110) ? Also never seen the detachable magazine, is this option gonna limit my aftermarket stock choices? Can the Detachable mag option be eliminated and a blind magazine or spring plate be installed in its place? basically i need to know if this gun is the same as the current 111's or not and what info and advice can you good folks give me. At 359.00 it's cheaper than the Stevens i saw used today at Cabellas so that's a plus...

chuckles79
03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
No info or input on the 111FC? I think it looks identical to the Stevens 200 but with a detachable mag. Is it the same as the Stevens or would it be the same as other 110/111's meaning the accutrigger would work?

pk01
03-17-2013, 12:33 PM
I have not fitted nor tried to fit an accutrigger to a Savage that did not ship with one. I would mention however that I have one accutrigger action and two Stevens actions that i first installed old Savage three screw triggers (which tuned up pretty good not as good as the accutrigger for me) and later installed SAV-1 triggers from Rifle Basix (about $90) which I prefer to my Accutrigger model. Very easy to install and set up either the 3 screw or SAV-1 triggers with basic tools and 15 minutes.

If it is a centerfeed action (magazine attached to stock instead of to receiver) then you should still have plenty of flexibility. The only think you would need to convert to a blind magazine stock would be the an "L" clip that holds the magazine box in. You are able to pull the bottom of the detachable magazine and use the box and follower (along with the L clip you will need) and move it to the blind magazine stock. You could also sell the bottom metal and stock off the one you are looking at to help defray costs (I'll be looking for one soon for example as are others). Conversely, there does not seem to be as many aftermarket choices for long action detachable magazine centerfeed actions but there are a few. That is a great buy I hope you are able to make a deal!!

chuckles79
03-17-2013, 01:06 PM
I guess I'm just new to savages and don't know what the Stevens action, old savage action and new savage action look like. I wanna make sure whatever I buy isn't some out of date rifle than cant be updated, modified, or replacement parts located for it. . I plan on using it for a long time both as a 30-06 and down the road a conversion for a larger caliber for a Canadian bear hunt. I realize I'm probably over thinking it. Thanks for all the help guys

pk01
03-17-2013, 01:26 PM
I think what you are looking at at Dicks would work well for you as it is almost certainly a round back , centerfeed action which will allow you to modify at will as you get around to it. One of my Stevens 200 started as a 30-06 and is now my 338/06 elk rifle that I'm still modifying a bit doing all the work myself. Pretty neat stuff!

chuckles79
03-17-2013, 01:32 PM
So a round back and center feed action is a good thing? I'll have to go look at it again and see. How do i identify the round back? Is it just what it sounds like? Also, How do I know if its center feed?

palerider338
03-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Top rear of the receiver is round on the newer models......flat on the older ones.

Center feed .....the magazine stays in the stock when your pull the receiver out of the stock.

Stagger feed....magazine box comes out with the receiver. A little confusing at first but you'll get the hang of it. Lots of good info on this site......just have to look around.

chuckles79
03-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Top rear of the receiver is round on the newer models......flat on the older ones.

Center feed .....the magazine stays in the stock when your pull the receiver out of the stock.

Stagger feed....magazine box comes out with the receiver. A little confusing at first but you'll get the hang of it. Lots of good info on this site......just have to look around.

Thanks. I keep looking for the FAQ's on the 110 but all I can find is site FAQ for technical issues. Where should I look for this info? Most forums to a sticky at the top.

chuckles79
03-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Think I just found it

chuckles79
03-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Is it just me or does savage change its 110 series rifle a whole lot more than the Remington 700's I'm accustomed to?

pk01
03-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes they do change them a lot no doubt! I don't know if there is an absolutely cutoff date when all newly manufactured Savages were centerfeed, I've never seen that on this forum (although it might exist). I bought two brand new Stevens 200s in 2009 and both were centerfeed.

chuckles79
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
It's a little unnerving not knowing what I step into but I guess it can't go wrong because they all should be upgradable and customizable. This one has the older barrel nut and bolt release and I've read that tends to be the preference from most people so I think I'm gonna do it for the price.

stangfish
03-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Jump on it. That rifle is as good as any savage makes in the 111 line. It is all you need unless you plan on making it something an accutrigger can't be either. The AT is just safer when loaded and cocked.

chuckles79
03-17-2013, 10:16 PM
It's a little unnerving not knowing what I step into but I guess it can't go wrong because they all should be upgradable and customizable. This one has the older barrel nut and bolt release and I've read that tends to be the preference from most people so I think I'm gonna do it for the price.

Are all the detachable mag 111's center fed?

stangfish
03-17-2013, 11:49 PM
after what? 2006, they were.

Slenk
03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
111 staggerd feed , magazine release button on the side.
111 center feed, magazine release on the bottom.
Just buy the dang thing and enjoy it.

chuckles79
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Dicks gave me the serial number and I called savage. It's a 2011 with a center feed detachable mag 111FC. F= synthetic and C= detachable mag. She told me it would be the same as the current hunter line but with the side bolt release or Essentially the same as the Stevens but with a detachable magazine. Also learned that all Savage/Stevens rifles that are non accutrigger from the factory are not designed to be retrofitted with an accutrigger. (machined a little different i think she said) Thanks to this site though I've learned there are much better triggers out there that are available and stock choices exist too. I know I over think the small stuff but I'm a detail oriented person especially when it comes to my Guns (just like many of you I'm sure)

chuckles79
03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
And at $359 I'm gonna go pick up this week instead of the $420 Remington at Walmart. That's 60 towards my aftermarket trigger.

pk01
03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I think you will be very happy and you will find plenty of help here as you move forward!