PDA

View Full Version : New axis buyer

Vt Rebel
03-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Ian going to buy a axis but cannot decide on the caliber. I have plenty of 223 ammo but have never shot a 243 so I don't know much the recoil is. I have a bad shoulder so recoil is an issue.

fgw_in_fla
03-16-2013, 06:16 PM
My .243 Axis has a 26" barrel. The recoil is slightly harder than the .223...

In fact, I can watch the shot thru the scope. it doesn't jump or move.

Rogeritall
03-20-2013, 03:39 PM
For me VT Rebel, the question would have to be... What do you plan to do with it? The .243 Win is superior ballistic wise, but not by that much in a close yardage situation. If you plan to Target shoot, or hunt Coyote/Varmints between 50 to 200 yards, then I would go with the .223 Rem. The .223 Rem has less recoil, is cheaper to shoot (once ammo is available again), and highly effective and accurate at closer range. If you're going to stretch out past 200 yards a lot, then for the same things I would go with the .243 Win, but it's a bit more expensive (if you don't reload) and does recoil just a little bit more. But, you can shoot some heavier bullets out of the .243 Win, and in some States they are even legal to hunt Deer with.

Just my two cents... BTW, I went with the .223 Rem for my needs.

fgw_in_fla
03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Roger makes an excellent point.
In addition, don't forget you can always do a barrel swap. They're almost always for sale & after you do one you can blow right thru them. I have it down to 30 minutes - start to finish.