PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head swap problem.

snowshoes
03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
I ordered a new bolt head from midway and went to swap the internals today and i ran into this. The assembly on the right is the head that came off the gun. the one on the left is the new one. The new one has no slot so it won't fit inside the bolt body. http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u588/snowshoes22/DSCF1479_zpsc800bc6e.jpg
On the site it says Fits:
"All right handed long action Savage 110-116 Series bolt action centerfire rifles in standard calibers with small diameter firing pin"
The original bolt is from a 7 mag so is the bolt body different? Is the indent only on the mags? Should i return it or just have the local machine shop mill it out?

kingzero
03-16-2013, 02:23 PM
The older bolts had that protrusion on the inside and keyed heads so they would only go together one way. The newer bolts don't have that so the heads aren't keyed.

Just use a dremmel or something similar and grind the nipple out of the bolt body.

BillPa
03-16-2013, 02:29 PM
And he may also need to drill out the shaft to the vent if it has the old .145" firing pin.

Bill

kuduman
03-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I had the same issue this morning-- two minutes with the Dremel; problem solved.

snowshoes
03-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Good ideas guys. I didn't know how significant the key was. Thanks

Nor Cal Mikie
03-16-2013, 06:51 PM
The "slot" in the bolt head was so the folks at Savage could only put it in the bolt body one way. Grind the "bump" out of the bolt body and you can add any other bolt head.

ready_on_the_right
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Dumb question but why not buy new internals as well? Unless you sold the other barrel and never plan on using that size bolt head again seems logical to leave it in ready to use form.

Mike

fgw_in_fla
03-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Dumb question but why not buy new internals as well? Unless you sold the other barrel and never plan on using that size bolt head again seems logical to leave it in ready to use form.

Mike

That's pretty much what I did. Rather than modify an old bolt, I bought a new one BUT....
You have to be prepared to drop $145 & hope the headspacing is correct.
I saved my old(er) bolt for parts & spares.

No doubt the modifications are cheaper in the long run.
And headspacing to accomodate a new bolt is a pain in the drain.

ready_on_the_right
03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
That's where I'm at now, bought a used rifle that the owner "lost" the bolt in shipping so he sold it for a really good price, went on Midway and ordered a bolt, minus the ejector which I don't understand, and am now waiting on all of it to arrive, will get a barrel nut wrench, already have action wrench and equipment from messing with Mausers and Remington's.

Will need to get headspace guages for belted mag as well.

Mike

fgw_in_fla
03-26-2013, 05:14 AM
If you prefer headspace gauges...
I use the factory brass & scotch tape method. It's worked fine for me & I swap barrels on a regular basis. You'll need the barrel nut wrench & action wrench if you don't already have them. You may be able to borrow / rent a set.
After setting up your headspace (if you even have to) you'll be good to go with a new bolt.

I do recall swapping a bolt head on a .270 after it got burned by a bad primer & got lucky. That's the only time I didn't have to set up the headspacing.

PS - Edit...
The bolt was $145 from Savage (as I recall). It's less from, Midway, Numrich, etc. You may have to shop around or ask some of the guys here. Check the classified section.

brasse
03-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Savage was charging $110 for the tactical bolt arm, was $23 at Midway