PDA

View Full Version : Can a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel be rechambered for 260 rem?

Pages : 1 [2]

seanhagerty
03-19-2013, 08:24 AM
I would be interested in some of that 260 lapua brass.

stomp442
03-19-2013, 09:52 AM
I generally make 100 pieces of brass and i will admit it takes time but time spent in the reloading room is generally better than time spent anywhere else. Except the range of course.

Geo_Erudite
03-19-2013, 12:35 PM
How feasible would it be to rechamber a new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for 260 Rem?

:Cry: WHY? When life gives you filet mignon you don't treat it like round steak and make chop suey!

cheezie
03-23-2013, 03:58 PM
AmmoGuide has a Rechamber/Rebarrel calculator that isn't idiot-proof but will tell you if one chamber's SAAMI envelope (e.g. 6.5 Creedmore) is smaller at every point than another (e.g. 260 Remington). Join at AmmoGuide.com. It's a neat site for all reloaders. Pay attention to what sinman says - chambers can vary a good bit depending on the 'smith.

sharpshooter
03-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Might be ;)

When forming my 6 Dasher brass - neck turn, expand up to .25 cal and then partial size neck to form a false shoulder... that had me sincerely wishing I'd just stayed with a straight 6 BR. It might be less onerous if I only needed a hundred cases... but I normally make about 500 pcs of brass per match barrel to cover the times when I have 3-day matches on back to back weekends. That much case forming just ain't fun for me.

Heck, thats part of why I'm lovin' my .30 BR... only 31 pcs of brass total, and the gunsmith made them for me as part of the chamber job. All I had to do was load and shoot. Sweet! ;)

I have found an easier way to make Dasher brass without the neck up/neck down routine.

memilanuk
03-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Do tell...

I'm open to suggestions... after a lot of reading of various opinions (which I realize are a lot like noses...) it seemed that just lubing the body alone wasn't enough to give consistent best results, nor just seating the bullet long - apparently the strike of the firing pin can shove the case forward in the chamber unless one uses a hideous amount of neck tension... the false shoulder seemed like the method that gave the most predictable results. That said, it was/is a PITA (in my opinion)... enough that I was kind of eye-balling one of those hydraulic forming dies for the next time I have to make more 6 Dasher cases. Either that or just say screw it and have it set back to a straight 6 BR.

If you have a better way, please share.

sharpshooter
03-24-2013, 10:52 PM
It's called a "shellholder" bolt head. I made one from an old .223 bolthead, fashioned just like a shell holder for a reloading press.
I load 12 gr. of bullseye, topped off with cornmeal and then a wax plug. Slide the case into the shellholder bolt head and pull the trigger. The cases come out to the exact same length as the headspace gauge, and the shoulder is just as sharp as a factory case.
I have always found it is better to blow the kinks out of the cases before you turn the necks, it eliminates the donut problem.

Onewolf
03-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Well, for anyone that thinks the 6.5 Creedmoor is the way to go and is looking for a barrel, I have the Savage LRP 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for sale in the classifieds section here: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?23439-New-never-fired-Savage-LRP-6-5-Creedmoor-barrel