PDA

View Full Version : 11 Hog Hunter in .308

txbdyguard
03-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Just came in. Nice rifle. I did notice Savage went with a smooth barrel nut now and the trigger guard is plastic. I doubt I will ever put a thicker recoil lug on it though. If I do the sights will be off center. Speaking of which anyone know what the procedure is to remove the sights?

Thx

CharlieNC
03-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Knock out the sight in the dovetail; had trouble with my front one. Then remove the screw which this exposes, that's what holds the sight base onto the barrel. You can use the small allen screws that fill the scope-mount hole from another rifle to fit into the Hog Hunter barrel.

txbdyguard
03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks Charlie. I noticed they went to allen head screws on the scope bases mount holes now. My old eyes I won't be able to shoot open sight but I really like the rifle.

sharpshooter
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Just came in. Nice rifle. I did notice Savage went with a smooth barrel nut now and the trigger guard is plastic. I doubt I will ever put a thicker recoil lug on it though. If I do the sights will be off center. Speaking of which anyone know what the procedure is to remove the sights?

Thx

Why would the sights be off center? The recoil lug has nothing to do with barrel orientation.

txbdyguard
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Fred the recoil log won't effect the indexing of the barrel?

earl39
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
I can answer that one Fred. Changing the recoil lug will only affect how far the barrel nut extends away from the receiver due to lug thickness. Unlike a shouldered barrel the barrel position can be maintained with the same headspace using the barrel nut system when changing lug thickness. If that ain't clear as mud i can stir up the sediment a little more.

txbdyguard
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Thank you Earl that's enough sediment I had a brain cramp.