PDA

View Full Version : New .308 build

AZ Burns
03-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Hello,

I would like a .308 with a 20" barrel, accu-trigger, and detachable box magazine, and a stock that isn't flimsy hollow plastic. Ideally I would like a laminate stock.

One though I had was to get a 11 Trophy Hunter XP - Youth (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11TROPHYHUNTERXPYTH) and put a better stock on it. Are there any difference between an 11 adult and 11 youth model that would prevent this?

I would love to get a Boyd's laminate stock (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9222&cat=1223), but I am not sure how feasible it is for me to further inlet the laminate stock to accept a DBM. Anyone know if this can be done? I am not afraid to get dusty, I have access to a dremel, and I am fairly handy and detail oriented.

Thanks for the time reading this. I would appreciate any thoughts people have.

AZ

AZ Burns
03-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Just found a SAVAGE 10 DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE SHORT ACTION FACTORY BARREL (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=18983&cat=1223) on the Boyd's website. SO I guess the question is if this will fit a Savage 11 Youth model.

Anyone know?

Thanks again,
AZ

tiny68
03-14-2013, 11:17 PM
I would call Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply. I bet he could assemble what you want using a VLP stock.

Luck, TIm

stangfish
03-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Count up everything you need for the build including shipping. Then shop for a Model 10 Precision Carbine. Now compare. Accustock+ DBM+ Accutrigger+ 5R rifling= the shiznit. Did I mention that the barrel is 20"' and the muzzle is threaded.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

homer76
03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Just found a SAVAGE 10 DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE SHORT ACTION FACTORY BARREL (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=18983&cat=1223) on the Boyd's website. SO I guess the question is if this will fit a Savage 11 Youth model.

Anyone know?

Thanks again,
AZ

Yes it will. The only difference between the Youth Model and the full size is the length of the stock. Same action.

big honkin jeep
03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
+1 on the model 10 PC though I dont think my .308 with 1-10 twist is 5R rifling. The accustock isn't exactly what I'd call flimsy and addresses the past complaints of flimsy stocks very well.
Features an aluminum bedding block (accustock), accutrigger, detachable box mag,threaded 20" heavy barrel and an oversized bolt knob.
All I can say about this factory rig is that mine is stupid accurate. It was shooting 1/2-5/8" groups with factory ammo and then I ran some hand loads I had tuned up for my 26" Remington 700 VSSF (yeah we all make an occasional mistake). The 10 PC proceeded to put up 3 one hole 5 shot groups in the teens back to back to back and left me absolutely floored. (best groups with the remmy I tuned the load for were .4s)
Yeah it's fun to tinker with a rifle but the 10 PC is the most accurate rifle I currently own, and it came that way with nothing more than following a barrel break in and feeding it some good ammo.

AZ Burns
03-16-2013, 10:45 PM
I looked at the precision carbine. Looks like a very nice rig, it sounds like the accu-stock is a new ballgame in terms of savage synthetics. I should have stated the primary purpose of this gun: whitetail hunting, walking through brush on bluffs and hills. So I want something with a short barrel and probably about 6.5 pounds to 7 max before being scoped. The precision carbine would be too heavy for my purpose, as well as half again as expensive as my proposed build. The hog hunter, while looking promising and well priced, also would be a little heavy after the laminate stock. The lightweight hunter seems a bit too light for a 308, and again is considerably more expensive than my proposed build.

Glad to hear that the youth model will take a standard stock. I think with a 20" barrel and a laminate stock it should weight in right around 6.5 lbs. The 11FCNS was my original plan, as it has an accu-stock, but the Youth model is about $100 less than the 11FCNS, and a stock from Boyd's is about $100, so I can get the 20" barrel and the laminate stock for roughly the same price.

Thanks for the input, all, it is greatly appreciated.

AZ

big honkin jeep
03-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Heck I'll throw out a couple of opinions on white tail hunting rigs. I like a long action 25-06 thru 30-06 preferably. Never been undergunned with one. They don't make it anymore but my go to rifle is a 116FLCSAK purchased new in 96 and is everything I ever wanted in a deer rifle. I do have several others that also work great and any of the 110/111 rifles are more than adequate for slaying white tails. I know a lot of the guys complain about factory synthetics but I like the pillar bedded ones a lot. They are light, stable and tough. I think the complaints come primarily from guys that use a bi pod, but I find pods to be bulky, heavy and just in the way for the type of hunting I do. If you simply must have a pod then moving the stud rearward is a simple way to reduce the leverage the barrel has over the forearm. Just my opinion but I think the "flimsyness" of the factory stock is often over emphasized, Yes you can push the stock into the barrel by hand but in reality I cant say I've ever had one make contact under field conditions. Their is a lot to be said for the weight savings with a factory synthetic as well as the impervious to weather aspect of choosing one.
A trophy hunter should hunt just fine as is. It's what it was born to do. If you must then shortening the factory barrel and re crowning is always an easy way to make one a little handier and doesn't cost much.
Just for giggles here's one I built from a model 11GL in .243. though not a full writeup on all the mods, It has been converted to a synthetic stocked .308 with a detachable box. The stock has been shortened as well as the barrel. The barrel is 16" before the threading and being braked and the rifle is overall 37" long. I love the way this little carbine handles and shoots and it should be plenty effective at any reasonable range a game animal that needs shooting may show himself at.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/100_1389_zps0f9eb333.jpg