PDA

View Full Version : accustock any way to tell?

dlaboone
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
A local shop here has a used stainless 300wsm it has detachable mag,it does not have the smooth barrel nut,bolt realease is not in front of the trigger guard and it dont have the cocking indicator that protrudes out of the bolt Assembly screw.is there any way besides taking it apart to tell if it has the accustock?

snowgetter1
03-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Mine has another screw just forward of the front action screw to tighten down the recoil lug. Not sure if there are other models though.

bodywerks
03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
That is what makes the accustock an accustock - the accuwedge. Best thing to do its ditch the wedge and just do a traditional bedding job on it.
I did this:
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/bedding1.jpg
And got this
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/accuwedge/best308group.jpg

dlaboone
03-13-2013, 09:32 PM
nice shooting!!!! the models without the accustock dont have any aluminum in them whatsoever do they? seems that aluminum would really stiffen things up .even doing what you did i would rather have the aluminum bedding block in there.

1ShotKing
03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Bodywerk's rifle is an accu-stock model, he just ditched the accu-wedge and went on to bed it in the conventional manner. If what I remember is correct, the accu-wedge proved to be a major hassle and Savage eventually stopped using it. The models that aren't accu-stock have no aluminum. They are pillar bedded.

1ShotKing

dlaboone
03-13-2013, 10:28 PM
ok,i have a new one a few months old it has accustock but i dont remember a wedge in there when i had it apart.the one on the gun im looking at looks the same on the outside,i was just wondering if i could tell if it had aluminum block in it without taking it apart

stangfish
03-13-2013, 10:34 PM
The new ones are different. If it has an aluminum frame in the stock IIRC it is the accustock. What model was it?

dlaboone
03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
the one i own is a 116 weather warrior the one im looking at at the store just says 116 it is used

dlaboone
03-13-2013, 10:45 PM
i will just have him take it apart so i can see,sounds like only way to find out

blfuller
04-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Bodywerk's rifle is an accu-stock model, he just ditched the accu-wedge and went on to bed it in the conventional manner. If what I remember is correct, the accu-wedge proved to be a major hassle and Savage eventually stopped using it. The models that aren't accu-stock have no aluminum. They are pillar bedded.

1ShotKing

When did they ditch the accu-wedge part of the Accu-stock?

bodywerks
04-11-2013, 08:06 PM
When did they ditch the accu-wedge part of the Accu-stock?
Not soon enough.

It was shortly after the first introduction.

blfuller
04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Mine has another screw just forward of the front action screw to tighten down the recoil lug. Not sure if there are other models though.

That's the way my Precision Carbine is. I got it in August of 2010.

blfuller
04-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Not soon enough.

It was shortly after the first introduction.

Interesting. So is it the general consensus to remove the wedge and screw and skim bed the stock like you did? Right now my Precision Carbine will do .675 MOA at 100 yards. What did yours do before you bedded it?

jpdown
04-11-2013, 10:46 PM
A local shop here has a used stainless 300wsm it has detachable mag,it does not have the smooth barrel nut,bolt realease is not in front of the trigger guard and it dont have the cocking indicator that protrudes out of the bolt Assembly screw.is there any way besides taking it apart to tell if it has the accustock?

I don't think it is an Accustock. I beleive all the Accustock models have the bolt release in the trigger guard.

geargrinder
04-11-2013, 11:21 PM
I don't think it is an Accustock. I beleive all the Accustock models have the bolt release in the trigger guard.

No, accustock started long before the bottom bolt release. You'll have to take it apart.

blfuller
04-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Sounds like there is no easy way to tell without disassembly. If you look at it and there's not an extra screw in front of the forward action screw (old Accustock with Accuwedge) then disassembly is necessary because the new Accustocks have no Accuwedge.