PDA

View Full Version : Variable vs Fixed Power Scopes

Peter_Kirch
01-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Ok guys so far for My optics setup I've been through all the different scopes and after looking through night force's, sightrons, vortex vipers, Leupolds I decided a leulpold Mark 4 6.5-20 x 50 would be my best bet.

I have one question though. Is there a difference in clarity, sharpness, resolution, and ruggedness between a variable like the 6.5-20 and say a fixed 10x scope?

Blue Avenger
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
LOL Easy..dose one have moving parts and one dose not?

Peter_Kirch
01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
haha yeah I was along the same line but at times I have had moments of stupidity.

Just keeping everything straight on what to get.
I'd just hate to get a fixed, spend a grand on it and not have it be EXACTLY what I wanted

82boy
01-19-2010, 01:13 PM
It all depends on what you want to do with the scope. I found that even though I could use a fix 36 power scope for 600 and 1000 yard shooting, I prefer a variable power scope. The reason is when sighting in at them distances, you could fire a shot and not see where it went, even if you was close. (Within a couple of feet.) I found that I could back the power off and find them shots. Something else to consider is mirage, the more power you have, the more it magnifies the stuff between the scope and the target. On a variable power scope you can back the power down and get a clearer picture. The down side of variable power scopes is, I noticed no matter what brand when you crank up the power they get darker.

Now for short range target shooting (100-300 yards) I prefer a fixed power. I find that they are clearer, sharper, and has better light transition. For NBRSA/IBS style shooting I prefer something around 40 power.

EFBell
01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
it al depends on what you want to do with it "plus one" If your ever planning on hunting stay away from a high power fixed. In my book 10X is high power. too high for anything but varmint hunting.

Blue Avenger
01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
haha yeah I was along the same line but at times I have had moments of stupidity.

Just keeping everything straight on what to get.
I'd just hate to get a fixed, spend a grand on it and not have it be EXACTLY what I wanted

no need to spend a grand, pick up an older Weaver "K" series like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Weaver-K10-60B-Target-scope_W0QQitemZ150404939472QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item2304d53ed0 they are very good glass for there age. not a lot of money. with today's mounts it is not hard to swap from the variable to a fixed for hunting or target.

here is a 16x http://cgi.ebay.com/WEAVER-KT-16-STEEL-TUBE-USA-TARGET-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ290391257999QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439caaf38f

if you don' like them you are not going to lose much on a resale.

Hammer
01-19-2010, 03:41 PM

Fixed power is the only way to go.

Have a few variable power scopes, but they were all bought in a moment of weakness.

dcloco
01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Have both flavors.

I like....no....LOVE to shoot prairie dogs from 25 yards to 1K.

Also like to deer/antelope hunt as well.

Each has their application.

For what it is worth, most of my shots take on prairie dogs with a variable power scope, the setting tends to be between 12x and 18x. On several of my prairie dog rifles, I have fixed 12x and 16x scopes...WITH turrets.

I did have one 12x40 Leupold go bad on my Savage Competition model in 300 Win Mag. After 40 rounds, the front lense came loose. But, this scope is old. I bought it used...so who knows what happened to it in its previous life. Leupold fixed it....no charge.

Can also come down to personal preference as well.