PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge feed question

dsculley
01-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I purchased a used Savage bolt rifle a few months ago because it seemed to be a good price and I have always heard that Savages are tack drivers. The barrel indicates that it is a Model 110 chambered in 7 MM Rem Mag. The serial number on the receiver is F480197. It was a couple of weeks before I could get to the range to try it out. I was surprised to find that I could not chamber a round. Inspection of the bold showed that the bolt head was the standard head rather than the magnum. No problem, I got a magnum bold head and installed it myself. I went to the range with some factory federal ammo and the rifle shot really well, 1/2" groups at 150 yds. At this point, all my shooting was done single shot. When I started hunting with this rifle, I observed that when I loaded multiple rounds into the magazine (blind box with a leaf spring) that the bolt would not always engage the rear of the round to feed it into the chamber. The rounds would sometimes slide backward in the magazine and the bolt does not travel far enough backward to engage the round. Is it acceptable to machine down the rear of the lug that slides along the rail to provide more bolt travel to the rear?

Thanks in advance because I know you guys are great help.

bpratl
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
I had the same problem. In my case the flat spring was bent from trying to jamb too many rounds into the magazine. With the spring removed insure that the plastic feed ramp is parallel to a flat surface when placed on a table.

dsculley
01-19-2010, 11:01 AM
The spring and feed ramp appear to be ok.

GaCop
01-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Could be the magazine spring is weak and needs replacement. How does it feel when you feed the last cartridge into the magazine, any hard resistance? Trying a new spring can't hurt.

Dan Fletcher
01-21-2010, 05:49 PM
You might want to check the Staggered Magazine Box thread in the FAQs to be sure you have the correct box for the 7MM mag. Obviously the rifle had the wrong bolt head for 7MM Mag when you bought it. Maybe someone installed the 7MM Mag barrel on a 30-06 action. If the rifle has a 30-06 magazine box, it might be a good idea to check headspace also.

dsculley
01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I checked the head space after installing the new bold head. Head space if fine. Rifle shoots well to, with no signs on the case to indicate any head space problems. I will check the FAQ link.

dsculley
01-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Is there a reference size available so I can measure and determine which magazine I have?

Blue Avenger
01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
not that I can find. thinking most of my guns have a factory stamp on the mag for size.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,11526.0.html

dsculley
01-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I just checked my magazine and could not find a stamp indicating the caliber.

Blue Avenger
01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Is it acceptable to machine down the rear of the lug that slides along the rail to provide more bolt travel to the rear?

Thanks in advance because I know you guys are great help.

got one of these extensions on it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/Bolthead.jpg

dsculley
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes, it does.

Smokepole
01-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Yep, I've cut down a few of those 'legs' to allow for the shortest bolt stroke possible on my 270 LA.

dsculley
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Why do some of the baffles have those long extensions?

laportecharlie
01-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I believe it is to limit bolt travel for the shorter rounds like the 223 Rem.
Charlie

BillPa
01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Why do some of the baffles have those long extensions?

They're used to shorten the bolt throw on cartridges like the 222,223,204 and etc on short (1x) actions . They were also used on kind of a hybrid, a long action (5.062" screw spacing) configured as a short action. On those actions the mag opening is cut short to accept a short mag box and use an extended baffle to shorten the bolt throw.

Bill

dsculley
01-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks to all who responded. It appears that I may have a rifle that someone started customizing and did not change all the parts that were required. I am still very happy with this rifle. I think that I will order another baffle and keep this one in case I ever decide to re-barrel in a shorter round such as .223. Perhaps I will be able to send it to SSS for a T & T job soon.

Blue Avenger
01-27-2010, 12:51 AM
you can switch it for one with out the leg. you could buy from midway or trade some one here.