PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 16 BGH

transalp1961
01-19-2010, 12:28 AM
New to the forum! I recently purchased a model 16 BGH (big game hunter) in 243 Winchester. I was told it was a limited production run. It has a 22" heavy tapered fluted stainless steel barrel. Anybody know anything more about these guns? I paid $529 for one NIB. Is that about the going price? Thanks in advance.

Uncle Jack
01-19-2010, 06:02 AM
243 Winchester Big Game Hunter......I need to think about that for a bit.

In any event, if you have a new short action SS Savage with a heavy barrel in 243, it should shoot like gangbusters. Depending upon your needs, it should serve you well as an accurate gopher getter as well as a medium range deer rifle.

Despite the label I don't think I would want to take on a Cape Buffalo with a 243.

uj

transalp1961
01-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Its not really a "Big Game Hunter" but that is what the initials BGH that Savage uses to describe this model. The dealer I talked to described it as a model 16 BR with BR standing for bench rest. I check the box and it shows 16 BGH. It has a shorter 22" fluted heavy tapered barrel that is more like a carry gun. I hope I am not sacrificing accruacy or velocity too much with a shorter barrel. All the other heavy barrel Savage guns have much longer barrels.