PDA

View Full Version : Precision Carbine 308 with 5R barrel...meh.

Pages : [1] 2

762X51
03-11-2013, 10:00 AM
So I've been trying to get a good load for this rifle but just haven't hit on anything magic or repeatable. I've used bullets weighing 125, 150, and 168 but none were obviously better grouping than any of the others. I've tried various powders too; W748, H4895, Varget, IMR4064 and IMR4320 with none of those showing any appreciable superiority over the others. On average I'd have to say that this has been to date about a 1.50" (or MUCH worse) gun no matter what I feed it. On occasion it will shoot sub MOA but any attempt to replicate the results with the same load combination has resulted in failure upon retesting. While 1.50" groups are not horrible accuracy I fully expected much better from this rifle. My first Precision Carbine with just the regular Savage barrel shot much better but just never did feed and eject to my liking. I asked in another post but never received a reply, if Savage actually made the 5R barrels that were available on some of their rifles or if they sourced them from elsewhere. My last hope is to try some of the heavier bullets like 175 SMKs (if I can find some when the current component drought ends) but I don't hold out much hope since none of the factory heavy loads I tested proved outstanding. I'm beginning to think that this may just be a mediocre rifle but on an upnote my cheapo Axis 223 shoots like a rifle costing 5 times as much! Anybody got any ideas? At this point I'm open to most anything.

Russell D
03-11-2013, 11:05 AM
While loads do vary rifle to rifle, 5R rifling typically likes higher powder charges. My 6.5x47 shoots best with loads that are .5gr over max. As long as there are no signs of overpressuring the rifle you can raise the powder charge.

Are you running the factory barrel or is it a replacement?

stomp442
03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Are you reloading at all? Factory ammo never gives me the results im looking for. I wouldnt write the rifle off until you try some reloads that are tuned to the rifle.

762X51
03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Are you running the factory barrel or is it a replacement?

I think the answer may be "both". Kinda. I did not replace the barrel and the rifle came from Savage with the 5R barrel. Just where the barrel came from is the real question. Who knows really? Does Savage manufacture their barrels for the very limited rifles they were offered on?

762X51
03-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Are you reloading at all?
Ummmm, yeah. That's why I listed some of the variety of powders I've used. Many, many, many combinations of bullet weights and powders. Still no joy. I've also tried several factory loads to no avail.

Westcliffe01
03-11-2013, 12:41 PM
The 10PC has a slightly more complicated action screw/ recoil lug wedge setup. Are you sure the action was installed correctly when it was put back in the stock ? If the wedge is missing or not installed properly you could be having issues.

I suggest you take the action out of the stock and then read the instructions on how to put if back properly. Be sure you are not missing any parts. You will also be able to see if you really have the accustock with aluminum bedding block. Be careful with the rear screw on the trigger guard, it is just a wood screw and has no impact on the action bedding. My 10PC in 223 with Factory barrel has been a 1/2 minute gun from the first day.

stangfish
03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
What is the twist on that thing? I would think a 150 would be the minimum weight bullet and the longer (heavier) the better. Can you give us your loads for the 165's.

CAPTBEACH
03-11-2013, 03:53 PM
my Savage 308 shot well with 168 SMK...it became a one ragged hole gun with 175 SMK

mdharris68
03-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I don't know your level of experience when it comes to reloading, but I spent yesterday reading on Snipers Hide forum, the reloading thread. The threads are stickyed and are titled, Handloading for long range. There are five different sticky threads that basically teach you how to develope a load for that barrel/gun combination. Like I said you may know all this, but I thought this would help. My2€

MrMajestic
03-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Give the Federal GM factory fodder a go. It is the standard when many test this caliber. Just a thought......

762X51
03-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Give the Federal GM factory fodder a go. It is the standard when many test this caliber. Just a thought......

Tried and FAIL!

762X51
03-11-2013, 08:39 PM
my Savage 308 shot well with 168 SMK...it became a one ragged hole gun with 175 SMK

That is actually my last resort. If the 175s don't shoot it will become a tomato stake!

762X51
03-11-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't know your level of experience when it comes to reloading, but I spent yesterday reading on Snipers Hide forum, the reloading thread. The threads are stickyed and are titled, Handloading for long range. There are five different sticky threads that basically teach you how to develope a load for that barrel/gun combination. Like I said you may know all this, but I thought this would help. My2€

I've been loading for more than 30 years. I've NEVER had a rifle this ornery. I've used the Optimal Charge Weight method and the Incremental Load Development method as well as wild ass guessing and still no joy.

762X51
03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
What is the twist on that thing? I would think a 150 would be the minimum weight bullet and the longer (heavier) the better. Can you give us your loads for the 165's.

The 5R is 1:11.25" twist rate...sort of an in between the usual 1:12 or 1:10. 1:11.25 is supposedly optimal for the 175s. I shall see.

Apache
03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
You sound experienced enough to have already checked the crown and such as that already?......

762X51
03-11-2013, 08:50 PM
The 10PC has a slightly more complicated action screw/ recoil lug wedge setup. Are you sure the action was installed correctly when it was put back in the stock ? If the wedge is missing or not installed properly you could be having issues.

I suggest you take the action out of the stock and then read the instructions on how to put if back properly. Be sure you are not missing any parts. You will also be able to see if you really have the accustock with aluminum bedding block. Be careful with the rear screw on the trigger guard, it is just a wood screw and has no impact on the action bedding. My 10PC in 223 with Factory barrel has been a 1/2 minute gun from the first day.

Thanks for the suggestions but this is a newer rifle so no wedge. Never any doubt that it had an AccuStock since that is one of the features of the Precision Carbine.

762X51
03-11-2013, 08:52 PM
You sound experienced enough to have already checked the crown and such as that already?......

Yep. And since it has a threaded muzzle I've shot it with and without the thread protector. I'm really hoping the 175s are the magic pill.

stangfish
03-11-2013, 08:57 PM
I bought a barrel off of a precision carbine. It was a new take off with about 40 cast boolits through it. Scrubbed it up and headspaced and off to the range with my favorite load. It was everywhere. I had my smith rechamber it and it was now out of round and messed up. I took it back and showed him the brass and he asked to have another shot. He called me the next day telling me the bore was oversized. So I got out my Starret small hole gauges and sure enough.. a new barrel that was .004 oversized from one end to the other. Worth looking at!

Westcliffe01
03-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I personally doubt it is the barrel. My 10PC shot PMC 55gr and 75gr Hornady Match ammo all into the same 1/2" groups.

I think you need to be sure about the bedding. The aluminum block is very unforgiving if not set up right. If you get a little something trapped in there so it doesn't seat right it can be a real issue. I have seen this kind of issue time and again with the Rem 700 SPS with the crap plastic stock with the recoil lug bouncing around or intermittent contact with the barrel. You need to check your action/stock fitup really well. Maybe even blue the action, then torque the action screws then separate to see where it is touching.

Westcliffe01
03-11-2013, 09:01 PM
If the barrel is oversize then it goes back to the factory. "Systematic" defect that cannot be caused by the buyer.