PDA

View Full Version : Choate Tactical Stock ??

tammons
03-10-2013, 07:27 PM
How do you guys like them ??

Thinking about buying one.
Not concerned with the weight.

Thanks

CharlieNC
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
This is one of my favorites; solid and stiff for bipod and a great bedding platform with the aluminum V-block. Finish is not perfect, with molding seams in a number of spots but I will sand and paint anyway. I had the Ult Varmint too but just sold it. A good stock but the Tactical fit me better so I ordered one from CDI with the goodies. Will now have two, so the dimensions and fit will be the same on the rifles I shoot prone.

tammons
03-12-2013, 09:27 AM
I had an Ultimate Varmint stock set up on a 6mmBR with no work that shot 3/4" groups at 300 yards.

I do like the button at the back at times, but for serious target no.

I did not care for the pistol grip handle, but then again I never shot it prone.

Thinking like you the tactical stock would fit me better.

Orr89rocz
03-13-2013, 03:37 PM
I like mine and cant wait to use the rifle. Surface finish is pretty hard and coarse, not sure i like that as much as a mcmillan or hs precision. I held rifles with those stocks and loved them just couldnt find one anywhere in stock for the new short action dbm build i have

Planning to sand and paint soon as weather warms up.

dwt
03-14-2013, 03:34 PM
I have used three for the last 3 yrs,shooting match's every month and lots of practice,no problems to date.

Uncle H
03-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I have had several Tactical Chaote Stocks, we have one the wifes Model 10 Predator we just put together for her. We also have some H-S, Manners, B-C stocks, I like the B-C myself, The only thing I dont like on the Choate is it's weight, it is a heavy stock, but shooting prone or bench that really doesnt matter. We went with the Chaote for the wifes rifle, because its one of only two stocks ( if I was told correctly) that make a left hand, short action, DBM, stock that will fit the Model 10 Savage, the other being the McMillian that cost about $600. Over all, its a good solid stock, it is not finished out or painted like the other stocks, but I have seeen several that were painted by the owners and looked really nice. Here are a couple of pix of her rig, 6.5 Creedmoor, Model 10 Predator L-H.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u635/Uncle_HII/SAM_0672_zpsbfdeb038.jpg

65impala
03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
I love mine and think it's a great stock for the money. I really like the internal rail mount for the bipod. It lets you slide the bipod position fore and aft to fine tune the balance.

timmymic
06-08-2013, 11:22 PM
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/krylon-webbing-first-long-range-gun-114618/
This is what I did with mine it looks amazing! 12 bucks worth of paint!

devildogandboy
06-09-2013, 05:04 PM
I think you should know they have this wide barrel channel in them that will easily except the bull barrels and still have a little room left over on each side. I don't mind how it looks, it feels great and so far for me it shoots great! it's a very well made stock for the money and I like the aluminum bedding block. I would definitely buy another.

missed
06-09-2013, 06:33 PM
I think I'm definitely getting one.

I'm a lefty with a dbm rifle. MC Millian, and Whidden are the only others and $600+ and Whidden will inlet for the factory DBM.

rt07
06-10-2013, 07:28 AM
I've been thinking about getting one too.

cheapshot
06-10-2013, 10:25 AM
The tactical was my first choate stock and when I received it I was scratching my head about the finish quality. One thing I kept reading about the choate stocks is that the finish wasn't that great. I have now owned a couple of varmint stocks and there are a few things here and there that aren't perfect in the finish but that was not the case at all for the Tactical. I don't think you can beat them for the money.

SlimySquirrel
06-26-2013, 03:09 AM
I have had several Tactical Chaote Stocks, we have one the wifes Model 10 Predator we just put together for her. We also have some H-S, Manners, B-C stocks, I like the B-C myself, The only thing I dont like on the Choate is it's weight, it is a heavy stock, but shooting prone or bench that really doesnt matter. We went with the Chaote for the wifes rifle, because its one of only two stocks ( if I was told correctly) that make a left hand, short action, DBM, stock that will fit the Model 10 Savage, the other being the McMillian that cost about $600. Over all, its a good solid stock, it is not finished out or painted like the other stocks, but I have seeen several that were painted by the owners and looked really nice. Here are a couple of pix of her rig, 6.5 Creedmoor, Model 10 Predator L-H.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/u635/Uncle_HII/SAM_0672_zpsbfdeb038.jpg
Thanks for this post.. been trying to decide on a Choate for a while.. Like the look of the varmint but with the Bolt Release on the Trigger Guard it narrows it down to the Tactical. Order being placed now!! I have a 22-250 that we are gonna set up for some Varminting so it looks like it will be a nice fit with my Predator Max1

EMTSmokeeater681
04-21-2014, 05:16 PM
I have one on a newer style fcp-k 308 with bottom bolt release ....very nice stock solid ,little heavy but I like the weight makes it easier to hold

devildogandboy
04-22-2014, 10:07 PM
I think you should know they have this wide barrel channel in them that will easily except the bull barrels and still have a little room left over on each side. I don't mind how it looks, it feels great and so far for me it shoots great! it's a very well made stock for the money and I like the aluminum bedding block. I would definitely buy another.

ooops, I did buy another and now have 2. excellent stocks for the money!

Bruce