PDA

View Full Version : hard to chamber a round.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

tacticalpanda
03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't have a calipers. Can only get a rough estimate. I have a press but no dies.

tacticalpanda
03-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Also just picked up the round and noticed it was sharp on the bottom. Looks all beat up on the bottom of the round.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2iatlkh.jpg

tacticalpanda
03-10-2013, 06:07 PM
And just went through my brass I fired today and the brass I fired through my friends stevens 200 last weekend. The brass from today all have a big piece missing from the rim. You can feel the burr and notice it. The brass I fired from my friends gun last week doesn't have these marks.

scope eye
03-10-2013, 06:12 PM
OK if you have a press perfect, It does not have to be pretty, I am just trying to see if the bullet is seated out to far for that chamber, so rest the cartridge on the ram, and use something to block the threaded hole where the dies go, like a pair of pliers hold them underneath the top like where the decapping pin would be, and just bump the bullet in a little to they amount I mentioned, and then chamber it.

Dean

scope eye
03-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I was typing away when you posted those picks, it looks like the head space is to tight, but try what I asked you anyway, and let us know your findings.

Dean

tacticalpanda
03-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I was typing away when you posted those picks, it looks like the head space is to tight, but try what I asked you anyway, and let us know your findings.

Dean

Just tried. was only able to seat the bullet maybe 1/100 of an inch. Still the same. Works if I really drive the bullet in there. But now my hand hurts from slaming the bolt in and from hitting the scope almost every time.

JCalhoun
03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking it's a headspace issue also.

On a side note. A couple years ago I had ordered a pre-fit barrel that was not reamed deep enough. Had to sent it back but it's fine now.

Some barrel makers don't finish ream the chambers unless you specify it. There is also the chance they're using a damaged or dull reamer.

tacticalpanda
03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm thinking it's a headspace issue also.

On a side note. A couple years ago I had ordered a pre-fit barrel that was not reamed deep enough. Had to sent it back but it's fine now.

Some barrel makers don't finish ream the chambers unless you specify it. There is also the chance they're using a damaged or dull reamer.

It was a criterion prefit order from Jim at Northland. I posted yesterday about it. So it might need to be reamed again? Is there anyway to tell?

scope eye
03-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Just a heads up, never slam a load round into a chamber, what can happen is called,"slam fire" which is self explanatory.

Dean

PS when you bring the rifle back to get the head space redone, bring some of they ammo you are going to be using, even if it's the cheap stuff to make sure it cycles smoothly.

scope eye
03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
If It's a CBI I would be surprised, if it's the machining, it's the headspace that's my story and I stickin to it.

Dean

tacticalpanda
03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
If it is the headspacing I hope my gunsmith admits to it. I paid more than I should have to get it headspaced but I needed it today to zero it and by Tuesday so I had to pay up.

dlaboone
03-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Is there any chance the rim of the shell case is not going under the extractor? that would explain the gouge marks on the rim of the brass.just a thought

tacticalpanda
03-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Is there any chance the rim of the shell case is not going under the extractor? that would explain the gouge marks on the rim of the brass.just a thought

could be. anyway to tell?

dlaboone
03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
maybe take your bolt out and put a shell in the bolt face.see if its going flat up against the face of the bolt.you will probably have to put it in at an angle and slide it under extractor (the little claw)

dlaboone
03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
you could take the extractor out and try it too.might have to push your shell out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod without it in there.there are videos online to show you how to remove extractor

Russell D
03-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I would do as the guy above says. But instead of pulling the extractor, pull the ejector. That way you can put a round in the bolt and try and chamber it! If it works as normal then, its the extractor not working properly...

If you bring it back to the gunsmith you can have him measure the headspace of the barrel. I would be surprised if its that because by design there is quite a.bit of room for error with headspace when chambering the barrels. I still make sure mine are within .003 of factory spec

palerider338
03-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Just a thought.....if your ejector pin is sticking ( or stuck) it might account for the marks on the case neck . Round is being pushed too far forward in the chamber. Might also explain the chewed marks on the case rim too.

limige
03-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Bullets are jammed into the lands don't shoot it. You really need to get someone to measure the over all length and see if its the ammo or the gun

The rim marks are from trying to pry the bullet from the rifling which is why you see it pulled out.

Russell D
03-11-2013, 11:12 AM
The rim marks are from trying to pry the bullet from the rifling which is why you see it pulled out.

From my experience if you attempt to chamber a round and try to force the bolt closer forcing the bullet in the rifling then open the bolt the bolt will stick in the lands before it tears the rim of the cartridge. While the affect can be changed on how much the case is crimped around the bullet, and I see the round is cramped around the cannelure so this could be the case.

limige
03-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah I hear you. Hard to say. Bullet is definitely in the rifling I zoomed in and clearly see hard marks on the bullet. I figured the rim was from dislodging it. They get stuck hard real easy with the cam action of the bolt.

Might have issues with the ejector mechanism as well. One thing at a time