PDA

View Full Version : Savage FCP .308 will not extract fired round after 5 shots

wce323078
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I perchased a model 10 FCP in 308. had the scope mounted and off to the range to sight it in.Fired 2 rounds and adjusted to point of aim. Then fired 3 more shoots, By the third round bolt lift was becoming difficult and by the 5th round could not lift the bolt to extract the case. This was using federal red box 150gr full metal jacket.let rifle cool off and tried again this time using rem 150gr core lock Same problem. Back to store I went and talked to owner of the store. who called his supplier who said send it back and we will have someone look at it.Now I am in Canada and rifle had to be sent to A warrenty depot on the other side of the country.so it has now been 6 months and no word.I called Savage and asked if this was a known problem and the reply was less then helpful,I was told they would do nothing for me as I was in Canada and the supplier would have to deal with it.Not what I wanted to hear. So my question is this is this a known problem with Savage mod 10 FCP. Going by the Savage web site it would be a FCP-SR model but that was not indecated on any of the info or the box rifle came in. I am a bit ticked off about the whole thing. and would like to hear if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks

tammons
03-10-2013, 03:43 PM
No that is not a common problem AFAIK.

Only time I had something like that happen was when I had some gunk around the neck area of the chamber and each shot was higher pressure. Did you check the head space and clean the barrel before the first shot ??

What did the case head look like ?? Look like high pressure ??

Maybe you have a bad chamber, IE a burr or something like that.

What did the side of the cases look like. Any heavy scratches down the side etc ??

Could also be a tight neck I guess. IE you shoot it and carbon build up causes slightly higher pressure with each shot
but 5 shot is short for that.

Did you clean the barrel between the FMJ rounds and the core lock rounds ??

jonbearman
03-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I will bet it is a rough chamber. I would get on their case and get it back and rebarrel with a new mcgowen or criterion or something of good quality.

stangfish
03-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Your gun has been gone for 6 months?!?!?!?

palerider338
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Time to kick butt and take names. There are 4 Savage Authorized Repair Centers in Canada...2 on the east coast, 1 in PQ and 1 in Ontario. Check the Savage website under Customer Service /Warranty for their addresses and phone numbers.

BTW: PM me the name of the retailer you bought it from so I make sure not to buy from them

tammons
03-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Man I would be pissed if somebody had my rifle for 6 months