PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Lug Bottoming Out

Torky455
01-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi guys! I'm the proud new owner of my first Savage...a Model 12 VLP DBM in left hand, and so far I love it ;D! I did however notice, that with the action screws out, I can rock the barreled action assy. by pushing on the tang then the barrel. It seems to be pivoting on the recoil lug, and though I admit to having limited knowlege on inletting and such, this just doesn't seem like a good thing. I figured, before I go after the stock with my dremel, I'd better ask those who would know better. So, any thoughts?
Thanks, Blaine

ellobo
01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Dont mess with the stock. File some metal off the bottom of the recoil lug until it doesnt rock anymore.

El Lobo

EFBell
01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I would not be too sure it's rocking on the lug; thats a long heavy free floated barrel there and it's going to easily rock on the front pillar. Check real carefully before you start hacking anything.

Measure from the slot to the top of the pillar and then check the length of the lug Maybe put a little dab of modeling clay on the bottom of the lug and see if it gets squashed if you dont have any good small steel rules.

pdog06
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I would not be too sure it's rocking on the lug; thats a long heavy free floated barrel there and it's going to easily rock on the front pillar. Check real carefully before you start hacking anything.

my first thought exactly.

To be sure it is the lug take some play-doh or modeling clay and put a layer of it in the bottom of the recoil lug well. Then put your barreled action in(just sit it in there so it sits on the pillars, just like if it was tightened up). Then pull it back apart and see what the clay looks like. If it is bottoming out it would have pushed the clay out from under the lug. If not it'll tell you how much room you have under it.

I think you'll find it isnt bottoming out, and just rocking cause theres 26" of stainless on one side and 8" on the other.

dcloco
01-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Some clay and a little car wax or shoe polish will be your new friends.

With a q-tip, coat the lug area of the stock with carnuba car wax or kiwi neutral shoe polish. Add a small amount of clay to the lug area of the stock, bolt the action in, and take a look at what is actually going on.

Torky455
01-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Not quite sure why I didn't think of measuring before ???, calipers say that I have plenty of clearance. It seems to be rocking on a high spot in the stock, right where the front pillar is (pillar is recessed just a bit). Maybe some bedding is in order? (not quit ready to tackle that myself yet) Or maybe it's normal, and I should just relax and enjoy this new beauty. I'm really looking forward to getting a load dialed in, as I mainly punch paper, and have heard/read a lot about the inherent accuracy of these guns. Thanks again for the info! Blaine

pdog06
01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
It is probably rocking more on the front of the action than the actual pillar, but I'm sure it is just due to the weight of the barrel, As long as you bolt it together and the barrel ad rear tang are free-floated you should be good to go.

EFBell
01-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Torky, just shoot it and see how it goes. Eventually you will probably want to bed it. There is plenty of step by step information on here. Dont be intimidated, it's not all that hard with a little care and the right products it will turn out fine.