PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II Accruracy

NOKNOT
03-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I purchased a Mark II TRR-SR. I have always just put on a cheap scope, gone out in the woods and started plinking at whatever I saw. I would like to fix this gun up for accuracy, I just dont know what needs to be done. Is the main thing getting a good scope or is there other modifications I need to make? Thanks.

JCalhoun
03-10-2013, 06:18 PM
How much of a budget do yo have?

I would get a good scope for it first and maybe bed the action. If you plan to shoot from a bench then a Caldwell Rock is a good front rest. Protektor makes a good leather rear bag.

If you want a bipod, Harris all the way.

NOKNOT
03-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Around $250-$300. I have a Mueller 4.5-14x40 on another 22,didnt know if I should rob that one or get another scope. I will never be in matches or anything but I would just like a set up that if I see a squirrel around 100 yds or so, I would feel confident of hitting it. As I said, all I have ever done is take a 22 in the back yard and shoot at whatever I saw. What do you mean by bed the action? Thanks for all the help.

JCalhoun
03-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Use the search feature to see everything about bedding an action. There will be quite a bit about it.

I recently purchased a Nikon 3-9X 40 AO ProStaff Target EFR. It's an affordable .22 target & hunting scope that should be in your budget. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

Creed Bennett
03-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I have the Nikon scope that JCalhoun is speaking of. It's a great little scope. It should serve you well and do anything you want to do.

NOKNOT
03-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys, I think Ill try the scope. If I decide to do the bedding, Ill have to find someone to do that. Dont think that's something I would like to start on my own.

JCalhoun
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
If the rifle shoots to your satisfaction you could not worry about bedding it.

NOKNOT
03-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Gun shop where I bought the rifle has the Nikon for $189 plus tax, I can get it from Amazon or Optics Planet for $159 shipped. I have heard that on some things you get lesser quality from buying outside the gun shop. Is that true? Would I be getting the same quality from either place? Thanks again for all your help.

JCalhoun
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
No, it will be the same quality as long as it's the same product. The only advantage to buying from the store is you will have it right then and don't have to pay shipping but sales tax. A lot of gun stores will install and bore sight the scope for free if you buy the scope and mounts from them. Be sure ask to them about that.

teebirdhyzer
03-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I have both Nikon and Mueller scopes, and I would Consider the glass in the APV to be on par with the nikon prostaff. I like a little more magnification than 9x for my .22's if I'm going to be shooting paper...especially at the 100yds you speak of . I would go with the 4.5-14 Mueller myself. The two biggest contributing factors to you shooting the most accurate, and smallest groups with your new Savage .22 is going to be ammo selection and action screw torque. Many people have good luck with Wolfe Match/Target and CCI Standard Velocity .22 ammo. Both of these are pretty consistant and won't break you to shoot....although they may be rather difficult to find in the current ammo shortage environment. As far as screw torque goes, I would get or borrow a torque screwdriver that measures in inch pounds, and start with 15 or 16 lbs on both the front and rear action screw. Mine shoots the best at 16 rear/14 front, but your rifle is indiviual and you will have to experiment to find this out. The action screw torque settings really made a huge difference in helping to eliminate the flyers I was getting that I couldn't explain away due to wind, technique, etc. Oh yea....and most of the mkII's seem to need 800 to 1000 rounds through them before the barrel really breaks in and starts shooting it's best. At about 800 rounds, mine almost magically turned into another rifle, and my groups basically shrunk in half instantly. It was a pretty crazy thing to witness. The MKII's are really good rifles for the money, and can really be made to shoot! Here's a 5 shot group at 50yds and a 10shot at 100yds from mine:

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_0519.jpg

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/fullup3/IMG_0332.jpg