PDA

View Full Version : scratched die--help!

devildogandboy
03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I got a set of rcbs 7-08 dies from a friend (free) and have discovered that the fl size die has some fine scratches in it leaving fine scratches on my brass. does anybody have a remedy for fixing this problem other than sending the die back to rcbs? I think the shipping would be more than just buying another fl sizer.
would appreciate any help. thanks in advance/

twarren
03-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Are you sure your die is scratched. Sometimes when to little lube is used gaulding will occur.
Make sure that it is not brass buildup.

BillPa
03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah, before break'n out the grinder give it good cleaning. Use a brass brush in a drill wrapped with 2/3-0 steel wool and a shot of WD-40. Don't worry, you ain't gonna hurt it unless your brush is made of carbide!

After the brush/wool application clean it then try a clean piece of brass.

If it still marks the the brass, use #320-400 paper in a split wood dowel. Wrap the paper to the right so it tries to unwrap and press against the die wall. Run it in back and forth for maybe 20-30 seconds, clean, recheck it and repeat until it doesn't mark the brass.

You don't need to remove all visual signs of the scratches, just cut the raised edges.

I've polished out some dies so bad I had to start with 180 paper and work down to 400, one, a new 260 Redding. It didn't resize brass, it ground it down to size!:p

Bill

devildogandboy
03-09-2013, 08:11 PM
guys, I would like to thank you for the input.
I was going to try some polishing compound on a tight fitting bore mop with a drill and see what happens. one way or the other the scratches are going.
i'll try the steel wool first since I know I have some laying around here. i'll keep you posted on what happens.

devildogandboy
03-10-2013, 12:59 PM
BillPa, it took longer to find the steel wool than it did to remove the scratches! I wrapped some 2-0 wool around the brass brush and put some rubbing compound on it and after 20 seconds of back and forth motion the scratches were no more. ran a couple of brass through the die with no signs of scratch.
thanks for the help.

BillPa
03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
I wrapped some 2-0 wool around the brass brush and put some rubbing compound on it and after 20 seconds of back and forth motion the scratches were no more. ran a couple of brass through the die with no signs of scratch.
thanks for the help.

Great, we fixed "Anudderun"!:p

thermaler
03-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Oddly enough--I was sizing up a whole bunch of 6.5 284 last night and the same lines appeared on my case necks about half way through the batch. Somehow I figured I failed to get all the crud out--some hard stuff must have got through. Using a jeweler's loup I was able to get a close look at what was actually producing the scratches. Although I polished the inside of the die as described above--I was still getting the scratches. Upon close examination I figured out the inside edge of the die where the case neck transitions to the shoulder there is a rather sharp edge--and what probably happened is that debris on the case neck gets compressed up against that edge repeatedly--eventually pitting the edge--and it's the irregularities in that edge that are producing the uniform vertical lines in the case neck. I'm thinking of polishing that edge down a bit--though I'm not sure if that changes the shoulder angle enough that it could affect chambering of the cartridge.

BillPa
03-12-2013, 04:02 PM
I'm thinking of polishing that edge down a bit--though I'm not sure if that changes the shoulder angle enough that it could affect chambering of the cartridge.

No, it won't change anything measurable unless you use 80 grit!:p

Worst case send it to the manufacturer to have it fixed up. Many times they'll do it for free or for a small fee.

Bill