PDA

View Full Version : 260 rem pet loads?

gcshooter
01-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm considering getting a 28" 260 barrel for my 10fp. My reloading manual (hornady) doesn't really have any match load recipes. I was just wondering what some of you 260 guys are shooting.

Elkbane
01-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Mine likes 123gr Lapuas, and H4831sc with Fed 210M primers. I'm getting best results with Lapua 243 cases necked up to .260 and neck turned to 13 thousands thickness. I've pressure tested this load with bullets seated 10 thousands into the lands and settled out at 46.5 gr of H4831sc, but you'll need to start lower and work up yourself in your chamber. This was not the max load, but was in the middle of the "sweet spot" when I did a a ladder test. H4350 is also worth looking at.

I also had some success with Berger 120's and 130's, but sticking with the 123gr Lapua's right now.

Barrel is a 28" LW - 8.5 tw (I think).
Elkbane

gcshooter
01-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I bit the bullet today and ordered a LW 28'' varmint contour barrel today. Now i got to decide which powder/bullet combo to start with.

JCalhoun
01-23-2009, 09:10 PM
139gr Lapua Scenars with 42gr of H4350.

hcpyro13
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Just got everything together on my build and went to the range yesterday. Starting off with 130gr bergers, rl-17, norma 260 brass, and 215m primers. Got the barrel broken in with factory remington ammo and I'm starting to work up loads, 41.7gr is giving me a 2786 five shot avg. velocity. Anybody out there have anything similar that works for them in their cabinet? Also just got some 140's to play with in the coming weeks. Happy spring shooting everyone!

pbcaster45
03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
More input guys! Anybody loading the Sierra 123 gr HPBT? I'm getting my Remington 700 SPS rebarreled soon to 260 Remington (Krieger barrel). I just got tired of that stupid long throat and so-so accuracy with normal length .308 ammo. I know, I should have stuck with Savage. A 260 Remington should make a great large varmint/whitetail rig.

mytwo60
03-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I will say this. Save your money and only focus on 2 powders.

1/ H4831sc
2/ H4350

H4831sc will be more accurate for sure but H4350 will give you the velocity edge. Right now I am shooting about 1.5" average with H4831sc. My goal is to shoot under an inch.

I am shooting about 2" avearage with H4350 which is really good but not quite AS good as 4831. Oh and use quality brass (ie Lapua). Don't even mess with Remington brass unless you don't have time.

btw, my groups are at 300yds.

desertdog
03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I will say this. Save your money and only focus on 2 powders.

1/ H4831sc
2/ H4350

H4831sc will be more accurate for sure but H4350 will give you the velocity edge. Right now I am shooting about 1.5" average with H4831sc. My goal is to shoot under an inch.

I am shooting about 2" avearage with H4350 which is really good but not quite AS good as 4831. Oh and use quality brass (ie Lapua). Don't even mess with Remington brass unless you don't have time.

btw, my groups are at 300yds.

whats wrong with Remington's brass?

mytwo60
03-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Nothing is wrong w/Remy brass. I've tried it and accuracy was just ok. I mean it's not like it won't group but since I have "extra" time I prefer to spend that on Lapua brass which I believe is better ROI.

One thing I did like about Remi brass was how consistent the brass are. I bought like 100 cases and I believe they were all between 161.x-162.x grains which was surprising. I did load up Remi and Lapua and shot them both side by side and Lapua clearly produced better groups with less flyers.

I have also used Win brass (neck down 7/08) and shot some really tiny groups but man the flyers were more frequent.

I will share a secret with you guys. I use 308 Lapua brass and neck down to 260. I do this because you must neck turn the brass to fit your chamber. Now the cool thing is that you can neck turn to make a "custom" fit to your chamber. This requires a little experiment but once you find that "sweet" spot. Bam!

Just keep in mind that the more you neck turn the less runout you'll get. The less you neck turn the more runout but you'll get a "custom" fit. You will have to do some experiments.

desertdog
03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
well, i have the rem brass so i will try it first. if that does not work? we will have to talk some more?

Nothing is wrong w/Remy brass. I've tried it and accuracy was just ok. I mean it's not like it won't group but since I have "extra" time I prefer to spend that on Lapua brass which I believe is better ROI.

One thing I did like about Remi brass was how consistent the brass are. I bought like 100 cases and I believe they were all between 161.x-162.x grains which was surprising. I did load up Remi and Lapua and shot them both side by side and Lapua clearly produced better groups with less flyers.

I have also used Win brass (neck down 7/08) and shot some really tiny groups but man the flyers were more frequent.

I will share a secret with you guys. I use 308 Lapua brass and neck down to 260. I do this because you must neck turn the brass to fit your chamber. Now the cool thing is that you can neck turn to make a "custom" fit to your chamber. This requires a little experiment but once you find that "sweet" spot. Bam!

Just keep in mind that the more you neck turn the less runout you'll get. The less you neck turn the more runout but you'll get a "custom" fit. You will have to do some experiments.

mytwo60
04-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Sure, no problem. I'll respond to any questions you have.

I was bored today so my son and I headed to the "public" range and shot a few at 600yds. I wanted to shoot at metal targets but didn't want to pay $200 bucks for a fancy one. So I decided to use an old rotor that I replaced from my daughter's car. It was 3/8" thick and 1/4" thick in the middle. I painted it white and made a cheap stand for it. It cost me like $12 total to make which is cheaper than some "shoot and see" targets.

Oh and the rotor is about 11". I have never shot this long before and had to trust the ballistic chart based on the estimated velocity (no chrony). So I dialed up 50 clicks and about 8 clicks in windage. My son spotted for me and first shot was...........CLING! HIT!

I had a HUGE GRIN LIKE THIS -->> ;D

Now, how the heck do I post pics?

desertdog
04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
nice, glad to see you took your son! sounds like you had a great time!! ;D ;D 8) dd