PDA

View Full Version : Neck Size vs. Full length

Pages : 1 [2]

iusmc2002
03-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Even though I'm just getting into reloading, Nolser was the only brass my gun smith could get a hold of. So, I want to get as many firings as possible out of it. I have already full sized 3 times I think. But I'm not running real hot loads and I am still a few thousands under max case length without ever trimming.

If you want to extend the life of that brass even more, anneal it after 4-5 firings. You'll be able to feel the difference in the brass, the annealed brass FL-sizes much easier

bootsmcguire
03-10-2013, 02:34 AM
Of course sometimes I'm just lazy and like the fact you don't have to lube the brass to use the collet dies on your necks

That is a huge upside to the LCD's that I enjoy often.

bower4311
03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
If you want to extend the life of that brass even more, anneal it after 4-5 firings. You'll be able to feel the difference in the brass, the annealed brass FL-sizes much easier

I'm probably going to look into this to try to see what I can do, especially since I'm still working my loads up and whatnot. From my current research it's just hard to monitor what is too much or too little for the brass temperature.

iusmc2002
03-10-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm probably going to look into this to try to see what I can do, especially since I'm still working my loads up and whatnot. From my current research it's just hard to monitor what is too much or too little for the brass temperature.

This video was posted on another forum I'm on, and it makes annealing a BREEZE! I first started doing it with the shell holder and spinner stud used for case length trimming from Lee. That was a slow process that made me have to wear a leather glove to get the hot case out of the holder. Another thing you can do, is use one of the heat pens (can't remember off the top of my head what they're called exactly) that come in different temp settings, so you mark the brass with it, and when the brass gets to the temp you want, the mark changes somehow. You can supposedly find them at welding supply stores and some hardware stores, this prevents you from overheating the brass which will make it harder than when you first started. I've never used the pen method, but it's just another tool for you to do it successfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgD5D0Wzu-c

earl39
03-10-2013, 11:24 PM
this prevents you from overheating the brass which will make it harder than when you first started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgD5D0Wzu-c

Brass does not get harder with heat only softer but you can burn the zinc out of it changing its properties. Before someone says it quenching hot brass in water does not harden it as it does steel and iron.

BillPa
03-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Another thing you can do, is use one of the heat pens (can't remember off the top of my head what they're called exactly) that come in different temp settings, so you mark the brass with it, and when the brass gets to the temp you want, the mark changes somehow.

Its called Tempilaq. Its best if its put on the inside of the necks so the brass heats it, not the flame from the torch.

Here is a inexpensive annealing setup. http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/

Bill

bower4311
03-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Yes, actually I just read about Tempilaq at Snipershide. Seems like a breeze. Dropping brass in water doesn't do much other than stop the heat, which is suggested when the brass gets up to temp since you don't want the heat spreading down the case.

brtelec
03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
The annealing set up that BillPa has a link to, is the system I use. It is quick and easy with no guessing.

fgw_in_fla
03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
I know a lot of people out there don't like Lee Collet dies, but I have had the best luck using the Lee Collet Die set. If its a standard caliber that I am loading for then I get the Lee Deluxe set which is the Collet Neck Sizing Die, a full Length die, and a No-Crimp Seating Die. If its an Ackley Chamber or some other semi-wildcat situation, the I get the Collet Die Set and add in a Redding Body Die for bumping shoulders as needed.

I use only Lee FS & collet dies. The one set of Redding dies I have will stay in the cabinet. I hate them. I'll probably leave them in my will for one of my ex-wives....

I can get 4-5 firings / neck sizings before it's time to FS. Depending on the brass type & caliber. Sometime Remington brass gets a little more life than other brands.