PDA

View Full Version : Standard dies for the 6 mm br ??

acemisser
03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
I have decided to take the plunge and build me a 6 br...
What I would like to know is if a standard set of loading
dies would get me through a few matchs until I can
scrap up a few more dollars for extra things.
What with buying the barrel and brass,bullets,etc..

So give me some advice please on what you think..
Also from what I have read,is that some of the brass
has smaller flash holes and will need a smaller
decapping pin...As far as the barrel goes I am thinking
26 inch with 1 in 8 twist...Bull barrel from Briggs if
he has them...Thanks

Savage22-250
03-07-2013, 02:29 PM
My dad is using the Forster bushing bump die and redding seated with his. This is with a Shilen barrel and it works for him.

acemisser
03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
thanks for the reply.

chesty for president
03-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Buy once cry once for a 6BR get the good stuff brother

Scalian
03-20-2013, 09:32 PM
I have the forster set that is the full length size and the micro seater. for 100 cant really beat it.

rcshooter
03-31-2013, 09:38 PM
I really like using an Arbor press with Wilson dies. You are correct about the small flash holes.Use lapua brass and fire form it to your chamber.Then neck size .......Wilson makes neck sizing inserts in 1 thou increments....If you flip them over with the numbers down...1/2 thou.
The nice thing about an arbor press is you do not bolt it down...it is small and easy to set up
If you use the Wilson neck sizing dies the decapper they use will work on the small flash holes.
I really like the Wilson bullet seating die. It will produce ammo with zero run out.
If you load a little on the light side, you do not need to body size....just neck size....just enough to get the bullet to hold.
Your brass will last a LONG TIME
I think that a full length die works the brass more than you need . it is also sizing the neck too tight
Good luck!

normmatzen
04-03-2013, 12:08 AM
I shoot long range BR with NBRSA and often embarrass other shooters with my home-made 6BRX in a Savage PTA with original Accutrigger. O.K. I had a gunsmith chamber my Bartlein barrel and fit it to the action without a nut, but I did all the other stuff like pillar bedding and skim bedding the action as well as finishing the stock and installing the NF scope. The action and trigger are stone stock.
I use The Signature Zee rings with plastic sleeve to give me 20 MOA.
I started with this barrel with an expensive custom full length sizer with bushings. Then I had Lee make me a custom collet die and bullet seater. I do use the Forster precision seater but only use the full length die every 5 loads or so and use the collet die other times for less working of the brass. If anything I get more consistency from the Lee collet die.

So, I use the wrong action (Savage), the wrong stock (SSS), The wrong scope mount system (Signature Zee), the wrong trigger (Accutrigger), and all the wrong reloading gear.

In two weeks I am shooting in the Sacramento long range BR nationals and hope to improve my mid-pack finish from last year. Last year I hadn't finished developing a load for my new barrel.

Buy Savage and have fun without spending thousands!