PDA

View Full Version : Recoil help options questions

Pages : 1 [2]

Jason8691
03-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Everyone that says make it heavier is correct, my 10FP SR weighs 11lbs with its B&C stock, scope, bipod, muzzle brake, and sling. Its like shooting a .223, but not much fun to lug over long distances if that is what you are doing. But if you're shooting for fun, put some weight on.

bower4311
03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Switch out the barrels and go with a 260. You can sell the current one here then pick up a 260 barrel, learn some stuff along the way and start hand loading if you're not already. Go the cheap route with reloading and it WILL save you money. Plus will be more accurate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jonbearman
03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
It is simple,get a muzzle brake put on and dont look back. The brake will make it louder but the recoil will be similar to a light load in a .243,meaning totally comfortable.Holland makes his version and many others do as well and it wont affect accuracy in a negetive way.Forget spending tons of money to stop the recoil and get the brake.

poorbuthappy
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
17 pounds? I hope you are able to drive that tank literally right up to the bench at the range you shoot at.

No, but I'm not 90 years old either... People get silly about how much guns weigh. Kids carry 20 pounds in their backpack all day, how much do infantry pack around? Lets be real, work out more and the extra pounds won't be such an issue.

twsnow18
03-07-2013, 04:28 PM
No, but I'm not 90 years old either... People get silly about how much guns weigh. Kids carry 20 pounds in their backpack all day, how much do infantry pack around? Lets be real, work out more and the extra pounds won't be such an issue.

Haha I'm a pretty in shape college kid myself, just giving you chit. My gun with scope, bipod sling etc is like 9.5 pounds but I'd rather save the extra 10 pounds in my backpack to throw the spotter and tripod in etc. But like you said, I guess you don't hunt with it.

Willoughby
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
there are reduced recoil loads in every reloading manual
10gr unique or trailboss with a 180gr projectile comes to mind
there are aslo reduced loads with h4895

stuffing a smaller projectile -in a necked down case does not make it superior to the original case -cartidge
especially in the case of the 308win- but it sure does sell more product........
if 260rem is superior
then 243 is even more so
or maybe less.
depending on how you anylize the ballistic coeficent -energy-velocity-data
& what your trying to achieve with the given caliber
you can load the 308 for everything from the smallest varmit to moose-
you can even shoot .224 sabot projectiles in it
if you reload -no reason to change anything.
if you dont & your looking for less recoil
.243win is my choice of necked down 308's
much easier to find ammo for than 260rem if ya dont reload

brasse
03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I have a bad shoulder. I can't shoot a stock Savage 308 like what you have.. I have been able to shoot the Savage 308 that has the "tank" like muzzle break, not the twisted holes break. But the break needs to be threaded on and the machining and break would easily add $100-150. get a nice laminated stock for $175 from Boyds or Stockys.

If you like the rifle and the scope, do what I did, add a Stocks Varmit thumbhole laminated stock. My Creedmoor has a DBM, but they come both ways, blind center feed and DMB.

Check out my thread here
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?22268-Savage-model-16-Creedmoor-Stocky-s-laminate-DBM-Nikon-Buckmaster&highlight=brasse

The extra two pounds of the laminate stock and the much better butt pad totally changes the recoil from almost too much to something I could shoot a hundred rounds a day out of. Of course I can't buy 5 boxes of ammo, and I know 308 is actually harder to find than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

My rifle weighed 7.4 pounds stock, and 9.7 with the heavier stock and heavier scope. Quite a bit lighter than those tanks that weigh 17 pounds.

Newguyjosh
03-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Brase,

Did you have the standard sporter barrel? I like the look of that stock but it says it is for varmint barrels. Will it still fit right? How much recoil reduction do you think I get from just that? Do I need to get a heavier barrel and or break also or is the stock enough to make a difference?

I have a bad shoulder. I can't shoot a stock Savage 308 like what you have.. I have been able to shoot the Savage 308 that has the "tank" like muzzle break, not the twisted holes break. But the break needs to be threaded on and the machining and break would easily add $100-150. get a nice laminated stock for $175 from Boyds or Stockys.

If you like the rifle and the scope, do what I did, add a Stocks Varmit thumbhole laminated stock. My Creedmoor has a DBM, but they come both ways, blind center feed and DMB.

Check out my thread here
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?22268-Savage-model-16-Creedmoor-Stocky-s-laminate-DBM-Nikon-Buckmaster&highlight=brasse

The extra two pounds of the laminate stock and the much better butt pad totally changes the recoil from almost too much to something I could shoot a hundred rounds a day out of. Of course I can't buy 5 boxes of ammo, and I know 308 is actually harder to find than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

My rifle weighed 7.4 pounds stock, and 9.7 with the heavier stock and heavier scope. Quite a bit lighter than those tanks that weigh 17 pounds.

Jason8691
03-07-2013, 11:18 PM

M4 with a magazine and all the sexy attachments they like to hang on them runs 8+ lbs. 200+ rounds of ammo, magazines, water, body armor with plates, camelbak, assorted other attachments, around 50 lbs. So yeah just a 17 lb rifle is not much at all if you're just going from your truck to a bench.

bower4311
03-08-2013, 12:32 AM
Do you have some sort of budget? Brakes can get pretty expensive relatively speaking. What kind of shooting will you be doing?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2