PDA

View Full Version : PTG 308 Bolt Head

capreppy
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Is the PTG 308 Bolt Head a direct swap including no change to headspace? I have one on order and I think it might be back ordered. I called PT&G and they are supposed to get back to me about when I should expect to see it. Bought and paid on 02/25 and it hasn't shipped so I followed up with them.

I am mid stream on a build and I don't want to go ahead with build and head spacing of new barrel if the headspace is going to change with new bolt head. I think I know the answer (yes, it WILL change headspace), but am looking for confirmation.

stangfish
03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
No bolthead is a direct swap without checking headspace. I have seen .020 difference form one to the next.

capreppy
03-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Pretty much what I suspected. Thanks for the info.

capreppy
03-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Well PT&G emailed me back. The bolt head shipped today. I guess they got worried I was going to cancel my order which I was on the verge of doing :)

bodywerks
03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
That's about right. Took about two weeks to get mine. I didn't worry about headspace on mine since it's at a gunsmith for a rebarrel, but i did assemble the bolt myself before i sent it to them. One thing, above and beyond headspace, is firing pin protrusion. I lost about .008"when i switched to the ptg. It was still within limits, but i like closer to .060 and i was sitting at .051.

capreppy
03-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks for that. Never thought about that. We'll take measurements before and after to figure out where we are at.