PDA

View Full Version : Once fired will NOT chamber!

Pages : [1] 2

SuperKaos
03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Hello all, I have a problem with my model 12 FVSS in .308 26" barrel

My once fired cases will not chamber the gun with out getting stuck.

I been shooting my own loads with it since new. I've been using new Lapua brass that I've neck sized and trimmed to 2.005 and then loaded with 150 gr Speer's and Sierra's with 42 grains Varget .018 - 020 off the lands. All with no problem what so ever, and what seems to be at the lower end of the velocity range as well.

So now I load the same load in the same case but now they are once fired and bam, stuck case! I've never had a problem re shooting the same case in the same gun before? All I did to the case was neck size, trim, clean. The case appears to getting stuck and the very bottom of the case where the opening of the chamber starts.

When shooting the cases new they eject loose as can be with no pressure signs?''

I'd hate to think I would have to full length size these cases?

Anyone else ever see this?

seanhagerty
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
I saw this once. I had my neck sizer adjusted to far down, and it was pushing the shoulder down a bit, causing a slight flair of the case where the shoulder starts.

So, make sure your neck sizer die is adjusted correctly, would be my first thought.

Sean

JW
03-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I have found that after a few firings of neck sized cases that I had to fl size due to hard chambering
You might try setting your fl die where it just bumps the shoulder back .001" to .002" and see if that helps
Jack

eddiesindian
03-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Id have to agree on the die setting.

82boy
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
My once fired cases will not chamber the gun with out getting stuck.
... I've neck sized

Right there is your problem.

I'd hate to think I would have to full length size these cases?

Right there is your solution.

Do your self a BIG favor and throw your neck sizing die away.

nubrun
03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Right there is your problem.

Right there is your solution.

Do your self a BIG favor and throw your neck sizing die away.

I think that might be a bit of an overstatement... I neck-size only for my 6.5x47 and am going on 4 firings (Lapua brass) without a body resize and have no issues with chambering. If the bolt lift isn't sticky, or there aren't any pressure signs, I would check your neck-sizer adjustments. Start over with the adjustment following the manufacturers instructions.

I know that there are pretty strong feelings on both sides of the full length vs neck size debate and there are a lot of good points on both sides, but in my limited experience I have had good luck with neck sizing, and then body sizing every 4th firing.

jsthntn247
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
You might "have" to body or fl size this first time, but if you barely bump the shoulders, I doubt you will see the same issue after the next firing. I believe it has to do with some chambers being slightly larger and the brass expanding further and more quickly to mold itself to the larger chamber. I've been neck sizing only for a while and think I'm losing consistency. Some cases will chamber very easily and other are slightly hard to close the bolt on. I am about to try to body size first bumping the shoulder's very slightly then collet neck sizing to see if that helps with consistency.

earl39
03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
It is in the adjustment as stated above. Pat belives in FL sizing only and that is good in his case. Others belive in neck sizing only. I think both ways have their place. First thing to do is try the rechamber a piece of fired brass before you size it and then after you size it. If all is good move to the next loading step and try again. Somewhere you will find what is causing the binding. If it is a compressed load you could be compressing to much and causing the brass to swell or if crimping that could also also cause a slight swelling in the brass.

nubrun
03-06-2013, 03:24 PM
You might "have" to body or fl size this first time, but if you barely bump the shoulders, I doubt you will see the same issue after the next firing. I believe it has to do with some chambers being slightly larger and the brass expanding further and more quickly to mold itself to the larger chamber. I've been neck sizing only for a while and think I'm losing consistency. Some cases will chamber very easily and other are slightly hard to close the bolt on. I am about to try to body size first bumping the shoulder's very slightly then collet neck sizing to see if that helps with consistency.

That is a good point, I was assuming that the OP was referring to once fired from the chamber he is trying to reload for. Were these once fired from the chamber you are having trouble with, or from another gun?

jsthntn247
03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
That is a good point, I was assuming that the OP was referring to once fired from the chamber he is trying to reload for. Were these once fired from the chamber you are having trouble with, or from another gun?

He said they were only fired in his chamber. I was saying his chamber could be on the large side. There for the brass would have (just say) .008 headspace on new brass compared to .004 on another "tighter" chamber. This added .004 movement would cause the brass to expand much faster and possible stick tighter to the chamber walls. After he fl resized and bumped the shoulder .002 back then he wouldn't see the need to fl resize on subsequent firings because the brass was not moving as far (.002 compared to .008).

nubrun
03-06-2013, 03:58 PM
He said they were only fired in his chamber. I was saying his chamber could be on the large side. There for the brass would have (just say) .008 headspace on new brass compared to .004 on another "tighter" chamber. This added .004 movement would cause the brass to expand much faster and possible stick tighter to the chamber walls. After he fl resized and bumped the shoulder .002 back then he wouldn't see the need to fl resize on subsequent firings because the brass was not moving as far (.002 compared to .008).

I understand your point now. Just out of curiosity, if this was the case wouldn't the bolt lift be tough? If the bolt lift is normal, then I can't understand why closing the bolt would be tough (assuming no re-sizing is done and just putting the case back in the chamber). I'm no expert though.

eddiesindian
03-06-2013, 05:01 PM
I know for a fact that my savage has a tight chamber. Ive collet sized once fired before and after about 2-3 fireings on them, they will fit tight. I did my own research and found out that I didnt gain any accuracy from collet die sizing. I did however have to use a small base full lenght die for my tight chamber. I havent had a problems sinse.
IMO....your problem is the die setting

CharlieNC
03-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Get yourself a headspace comparator so you can measure and keep track of how much it's changing over time; this should show you clearly what's going on and you can also measure how to set/bump the shoulder 2-3 thou when FL sizing. Every gun is different. On my 6BR it gets tight if I don't FL size every time . Other rifles will can run several loading cycles with Lee Collet Neck die with no problem.

jsthntn247
03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I understand your point now. Just out of curiosity, if this was the case wouldn't the bolt lift be tough? If the bolt lift is normal, then I can't understand why closing the bolt would be tough (assuming no re-sizing is done and just putting the case back in the chamber). I'm no expert though.

All bolt lifts are tough on a Savage. lol

nubrun
03-06-2013, 05:31 PM
All bolt lifts are tough on a Savage. lol

Yea but if you run a hot load you have to karate chop the darn thing.

Luckus
03-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I have found that after a few firings of neck sized cases that I had to fl size due to hard chambering
You might try setting your fl die where it just bumps the shoulder back .001" to .002" and see if that helps
Jack

I agree. You are probably sold on the neck size only is the most accurate way. It may or may not be the case. Get a set of headspace comparators and adjust your full length die to set the shoulder back .002-.003 and do an accuracy comparison, then you will have the answer. Lots of good answers here. Good Luck Luckus

beartooth91
03-07-2013, 12:51 AM
My Cabelas Savage 16 FHVSS .223 has this same problem. The fired case before and after neck sizing jams 1 out of 3 tries on chambering. The jam point is just above the case head and appears (at least in my case) to be caused by the cases bulging on one side at this point. As indicated above, I can get them chambered about 2/3 of the time. I've seen this with the Hdy and PMC brass I've tried and its been a problem since day 1. I'm able to successfully collet (neck) size on my four other Savages, but, cases for this rifle have to be FL sized. It doesn't cause me accuracy problems - the rifle shoots under 3/8" groups with the right loads. I FL size only enough to bump the shoulder back .001-.002".

SuperKaos
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
WoW! Lots of good advice and tips to work with here, greatly appreciated!

Well it's obvious that I have to full length size at this point.
So Monday I did manage to order a FL die from Midway. It'll be in today however, I'll be out to town 'till Friday. Anyway, I'll be able to start back on it Friday and test fire it on Saturday if the weather holds out.

With the conditions of all the rounds fired and the given advice here I'm leaning towards the die depth adjustment. But in the end, the findings maybe totally different the expected?!!?

Reason why I'm leaning on the depth adjustment? Because I have fired all 100 of the Lapua cases (new) in many different temperatures and all have ejected easily. The bolt lift and slide has always been the same and operating it with NO round in it. Many times I've even left a case in the chamber for 5 to 10 minutes after firing. Always ejects normal...

If it's not the depth of the die, it may very well be (with given advice here) that the chamber wants the cases FL sized every time or every 2nd, 3rd or 4th time. I really hope that's not the case...

I will order a head space gauge as well so I know everything that's happening the cases fired.

Thanks again to all I'll let you know what I find after testing this weekend.

thermaler
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Was the case stuck after firing? In other words--was there notable resistance to closing the bolt? I had a primer that didn't seat quite right--and had the brilliant idea that I should just chamber it (without a bullet) and fire it in order to decap the case. The case got stuck--even with just the primer being fired. I'm guessing that the improperly seated primer was enough to cause irregular headspace alignment which in turn may have contributed to the stuck case. Just a possibility--not saying that's related necessarily.

eddiesindian
03-07-2013, 08:53 PM
WoW! Lots of good advice and tips to work with here, greatly appreciated!

Well it's obvious that I have to full length size at this point.
So Monday I did manage to order a FL die from Midway. It'll be in today however, I'll be out to town 'till Friday. Anyway, I'll be able to start back on it Friday and test fire it on Saturday if the weather holds out.

With the conditions of all the rounds fired and the given advice here I'm leaning towards the die depth adjustment. But in the end, the findings maybe totally different the expected?!!?

Reason why I'm leaning on the depth adjustment? Because I have fired all 100 of the Lapua cases (new) in many different temperatures and all have ejected easily. The bolt lift and slide has always been the same and operating it with NO round in it. Many times I've even left a case in the chamber for 5 to 10 minutes after firing. Always ejects normal...

If it's not the depth of the die, it may very well be (with given advice here) that the chamber wants the cases FL sized every time or every 2nd, 3rd or 4th time. I really hope that's not the case...

I will order a head space gauge as well so I know everything that's happening the cases fired.

Thanks again to all I'll let you know what I find after testing this weekend.

you,ll figure it out. your on the right path.
Savage,s are known for having tight chambers which in reality isnt a bad thing.
When I started load development for my Savage, I knew I had a tight chamber after I fired a factory rd out of it and took mic readings from the spent case.
be as it may, I did use a Lee Collet sizer die that I altered the mandrel on to have a little tighter fit at the case mouth. the rds fired perfectly but as I mentioned before, I found out that I didnt gain or lose any consistant accuracy using a small base full lenght die. Collet sized cases (to me) swell everytime you fire them and eventually start having tight fits.
good luck