PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the magazine box from a Stevens 200

jimbo88mm
03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Hi Have a staggered feed Stevens 200.

I am thinking about bedding my stock and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to remove the magazine box. It looks like its just held in by a couple of tabs but I don't want to damage it while trying to muscle it off. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

J.Baker
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
You basically squeeze it (front to rear) to pop the front tab out of it's little slot in the action. This is most easily done with the barrel/recoil lug in place as it lets you use and expanding type pliers (jaws expand when you squeeze handles together) with one side braced against the recoil lug and the other side against the magazine box. Then just squeeze the pliers a little and it will come right out.

GaryB
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
I hope this link has some useful information...

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?12375-Removing-Magazine-Box

I wondered that too.
Gary

davemuzz
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I recall having that question once. And remember.....if you "rap" it, and the box didn't pop off....it means you didn't "rap" it hard enough. So.....look at it like reloading....start out where you think it should work without blowing up your rifle. If it didn't pop off, then use more (ummm....powder?) umph! Still no "pop"? More umph. You'll know when you reach the "break point." The mag just "pop's"off.

Then you'll say...."hey, that was really easy." And now you will be an expert....and then you'll answer the next guy who post the same question!!!

Kill N Grill
03-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I usually use Dave's method. I usually end up looking for the Band-Aid box after the third attempt tho.

03mossy
03-05-2013, 05:22 PM
I usually use Dave's method. I usually end up looking for the Band-Aid box after the third attempt tho.

Me too! For me its the hardest part of switching up my guns. Always a skinned knuckle or two.

mwb6700
03-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for tips, guys. I stood barrelled action up, muzzle down in thick cloth; pulled outwards on back of mag box with one hand while rapping on back of the box with small rubber mallet; presto, it popped out cleanly. No marring; the force was spread out well by face of mallet; and a minimum amount of force was needed. No gouging or bending from using screwdriver.

stangfish
03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
I use a dremel!

rinodods
03-10-2013, 05:47 PM
I believe that last time I pulled one of those I used one of those hand clamps with the rubber inserts on both clamp faces. Just popped it on tightened up until it came off with a little wiggle.