PDA

View Full Version : Baffling LH baffle for 204/223 SA

Scott Evans
03-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Was there ever a LEFT HAND extended baffle for the short action 204/223?

Searching for P/N's off the serial #'s of the LH actions I have here the std 103322 baffle is used, turned backwards.

RH guns the baffle 'key' slot is on the right, LH guns it is on the left, its not a matter of turning the baffle backwards as the extension prevents that.

geargrinder
03-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Bench grinder or dremel, and about 30 seconds will turn a RH into an ambi.

Scott Evans
03-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Why is the key slot there if it isn't necessary? They aren't going to do a broach operation on the action for nothing.

geargrinder
03-05-2013, 12:09 AM
It's an anti-bind feature. It helps keep the bolthead from catching and binding in the raceway.

Helpful but not necessary. I've had a bunch of actions that don't have or use this feature. Haven't had to throw one away because of it yet.

sharpshooter
03-05-2013, 07:58 PM
All the of the larger caliber LH rifles have the guide fin on the left side. However, the factory .223 LH have the guide fin slot on the right side, as they only made RH extended baffles. I've seen some from the factory that had a standard baffle in the .223 with the guide slot on the left side because the standard baffle is reversible.

Scott Evans
03-05-2013, 10:18 PM
I guess this one was the oddball then, according to Savage (parts finder via serial number) this was in original configuration a flattop 12FLVSS 223, slot on the left side, std 103322 front baffle turned 'backwards'. I *swear* the other SA LH 204/223 round tops I've seen were right side slot, didn't have one in front of me for confirmation.

J.Baker
03-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Savage part numbers mean nothing when it comes to telling new parts from old parts. For whatever reason when Savage makes a change to a part or assembly they keep the same P/N - which is why they need your serial number, it's to date your gun so they'll know which version of said P/N you need.

It's the most screwed up thing I've ever seen, and I've seen some really screwed up stuff in my 38 years!