PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Rebels7
01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Hello, my name is Chris and I live in western South Carolina,

I am an avid hunter of both large and small game and also enjoy wetting a line when I get a chance. I recently bought my first Savage rifle a used 110 package rifle in 7mm mag. So I am sure I will be asking quite a few questions as I get used to my weapon. I bought a Savage because I recently went through the proccess of buying my son his first rifle, although I ended up buying a different brand I really liked the feel of the Savages I held. I found a good price on the Savage I bought and decided to take a chance. It doesnt have the accutrigger but the trigger feels pretty good I dont know if it had trigger work done or not, but it feels in the 5# range. I am going to try to shoot it tomorrow hopefully it shoots as good as the savage rifles my friends own!!!!

stevec
01-17-2010, 08:41 PM
WELCOME! Ask away! Lots of good info here(and lots of good people)!

Steve

KBOB
01-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Welcome from Texas.
Kenny

xman77777
01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Welcome Rebels7, good to see another Palmetto on the forum. Lots of good info here... stumbled onto the site last year, and have since built 2 rifles that I consider really accurate.

Rod

Rebels7
01-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Thank you all for making me feel at home.
I know I will enjoy shooting the rifle. All of the Savages I have held felt like they were made for me. The Safety and bolt release will take some familiarization. I am used to the Rem 700 action. I think I will like the safety, it feels natural on the tang as compared to the side of the bolt. I know I will replace the scope, while it is usable I don't think I can realize the potential of this cartridge with such cheap optics. I have Redfield optics on my other hunting rig and it does not compare well at all.

GaCop
01-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Welcome aboard from your Georgia neighbor. If you become a paid member, you'll have access to a wealth of information and the classified section too.

Rebels7
01-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I took it out and shot at my Dads yesterday. It shot pretty good. The furthest I can shoot is about 70 yards. I shoot about 3/4" group off his 2x4 deck rail with no bags. I was in a hurry and only got to shoot 1 group with the old ammo I got with the rifle. So I am pretty happy with the accuracy.The trigger felt really good. It had to have some trigger work done because it is pretty light and breaks fairly clean. Another scope will be my first addition to my 7 mag.
Heres my first question. I have read about people reinforcing the forearm on the sythetic stocks with steel rods and epoxy. I am a machinist by trade so this type of work doesn't scare me. Is it worth the trouble to do this? I can get the material for free so the cost is not part of the equation. Are there any other diy jobs of this nature that I can do to improve its usefulness?

Thanks

GaCop
01-20-2010, 08:36 AM
If you really want to stick with the factory "tupperware" stock, besides stiffening the forearm, glass bedding the recoil lug and floating the tang will improve your accuracy. Eventually you'll want to upgrade to a better stock. The package rifle scope is probably one thing you'll want to up grade sooner than anything else. Good glass will improve your groups. The cheap Simmons or Bushnell probably won't hold up to magnum recoil very long.

Rebels7
01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I will need to stick with the black beauty for now. The scope is higher on the priority list.
I have read that epoxy and glass resin don't adhere very well to the plastic stock. I figured with the steel rods and a few holes I could get the reinforcement to stick. Is there a product that will work well on the recoil lug or will a few holes and epoxy get'er done. I have never heard of floating the tang I guess it would be just the area immediately under the safety up until the opening for the action.