PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE! A burr on the crown of the barrel

twsnow18
03-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Just got my 114 American Classic in 7mm. Took it the range and fired 6 shots, did the usual break in process and cleaned the gun after each checking for issues. Shot number 6 had trouble extracting, so much so that I had to wrap the bolt in a towel and strike it with a pretty good size rock to get the bolt open. I examined all 6 of the fired cases and each had a noticable short deep scratch in the same spot right on/near the belt. Each case was getting worse. So I looked at the crown (I guess you would call it that) of the barrel and there is a pretty good burr that is affecting accuracy/extraction. About every other case is getting stuck now.

This is my first savage and I just purchased it last week. I'm heading into the shop Monday to see what my options are. Other than that, I really like the feel of the rifle.

GaryB
03-03-2013, 09:32 PM
I would contact Savage. They will probably have you send it back. Their customer service is the best.

The "crown" is on the muzzle end of the barrel, is this burr actually in the chamber and causing hard extraction? I would not think a scratch in the crown would cause difficult extraction.

twsnow18
03-04-2013, 01:34 AM
It's right on the end/corner of the barrel. So when a round is chambered there is A LOT of contact and pressure near the end/belt of my 7mm cases. So much so that every other one is getting stuck and it requires a serious amount of force to get the bolt open to extract it. (Whether you just fired a shot or just loaded a dummy round)

twsnow18
03-04-2013, 01:36 AM
The burr is at the start of the barrel, the side closest to the action.

tiny68
03-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Don't shoot it or even chamber a round until you talk to Savage or have a gunsmith take a look at it. Something is wrong. Your loads or factory ammo? Can you feel the burr with a cleaning rod and a patch? Tim

J.Baker
03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
FYI: The rear of the barrel (where the chamber is) is called the breech. The crown is what's cut on the muzzle end where the bullet comes out.

Aside from that I concur - contact Savage and don't shoot it until it's been properly checked over.

twsnow18
03-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Breech, that's the word I was looking for! Thanks for the info guys.

twsnow18
03-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Don't shoot it or even chamber a round until you talk to Savage or have a gunsmith take a look at it. Something is wrong. Your loads or factory ammo? Can you feel the burr with a cleaning rod and a patch? Tim

Factory Hornady Superformance rounds. Haven't been able to get 160 grain accubonds or 7mm cases because of this obummer bs! No, but I can feel it with my finger and it is hanging over the barrel enough to cause an obstruction to closing the bolt when chambering a round.