PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Bas

Pages : 1 2 [3]

BillPa
03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Hmm... Now sure where this would leave me. Change it out or keep it the same?

As my father used to say, "If it ain't busted it don't need fix'n". :p

Bill

bodywerks
03-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Mrfurious, you obviously have a good point. The only flaw in it is that the old style firing pin assembly uses the same firing pin and spring as the new style firing pin assembly. The old style firing pin has been lighting up primers for years, so I'm quite confident that hacking off that indicator pin will not result in misfires.

bodywerks
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
If it were me I'd just leave it as-is. Why spend another $40-60 to buy a different firing pin assembly and BAS just so you can use something that was free? Save that money and put it towards a proper True & Time job in the future if/when you decide to change the barrel.

The thing you have to remember around here is that a lot of these guys have been playing the Savage game for a long, long time and they're essentially stricken with a disease the prevents them from being able to leave well-enough alone. They'll mess with/modify anything and everything they can get their hands on - often times with little to no concern as to whether it's actually beneficial or not. There's also a lot of home-brew solutions around here, and some are - shall we say - less than well thought out and in some cases even questionably safe.

So as with everything else on the internet - take everything you read and see with a grain of salt, and if something does intrigue your interest that you're not all that familiar with do your own research before diving into it.

The bolt-lift kit scope-eye sends out is a well known band-aid for the stuff bolt lift found on most Savage's, but it's not the do-all/end-all solution to the problem.
Words to live by, even if the "questionably safe" comment was somewhat directed at my suggestion to hack off the firing pin indicator:). PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

J.Baker
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Words to live by, even if the "questionably safe" comment was somewhat directed at my suggestion to hack off the firing pin indicator:). PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Actually it wasn't - that was more directed at some of the off-the-wall trigger mod suggestions we've seen around here over the years. Nothing really unsafe about inconsistent ignition, that's just more of a PITA or inconvenience when you start trying to figure out why those rounds didn't go off even though there's a a dimple (though smaller) in the primer.

J.Baker
03-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Mrfurious, you obviously have a good point. The only flaw in it is that the old style firing pin assembly uses the same firing pin and spring as the new style firing pin assembly. The old style firing pin has been lighting up primers for years, so I'm quite confident that hacking off that indicator pin will not result in misfires.

Same firing pin and spring between new and old? Umm...did you look at the photo's I posted? Those aren't anything even close to the old-style assembly.

Old-style used in M110's made from 1966-2011/12
http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=703&d=1348443527

New Style used in all M25 rifles
http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=718&d=1349939114

New Style used in all Axis rifles
http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=802&d=1351514455

New Styleused in all 220 slug guns and all 2010(?) and newer 212 slug guns
http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=228&d=1326523292

I don't have a picture of the newer 110 FP/spring assembly (maybe Fred or someone else can snap a pic), but it basically looks identical to the three new styles shown above. Far as I know it's not being used in all models yet, but rather it's being "phased in" in the package rifles. And as I noted before, sometime along the way in the short life of the new style M110 FB Assembly Savage switched from a 1-piece FP spring to a 2-piece setup.

bodywerks
03-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Oh, i wasn't referring to the model 25's, only the model 10/110's. Yes, there it's a clear difference between the 10 and new style 25's.

bodywerks
03-04-2013, 03:47 PM
And just to verify, I went on savage's partfinder for my model 10 fcphs and my model 10 fcp-k to check firing pin and mainspring part numbers and they are indeed the same part number FP P/N is 104887 and spring is 104279 for both. So hacking off that indicator will not be the reason the firing pin would ever not fire the primer. Improper reassembly, on the other hand...

J.Baker
03-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Did you even bother to read what I posted above?

I don't have a picture of the newer 110 FP/spring assembly (maybe Fred or someone else can snap a pic), but it basically looks identical to the three new styles shown above. Far as I know it's not being used in all models yet, but rather it's being "phased in" in the package rifles. And as I noted before, sometime along the way in the short life of the new style M110 FB Assembly Savage switched from a 1-piece FP spring to a 2-piece setup.

bodywerks
03-05-2013, 10:25 AM
You're saying you've seen model 10/110s with completely different firing pin assemblies than the one I'm thinking of? Just curious as that's the first i have ever heard of it.
Only savages i have ever owned are 2010 or newer model 10s or 110s but they all had the same basic type of firing pin assembly, with the only difference being the bas and cocking piece as i have described earlier.

J.Baker
03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

The new firing pin design first appeared in the Model 25's which were introduced in 2009. The following year the same design was found in the new Model 220 and updated Model 212 slug guns. 2010 also brought the launch of the new Savage Axis/Edge, which - you guessed it - also features the same new firing pin design. And now, sometime in the last year or so, Savage has started using this same new design in some of the 110-series rifles - primarily select package rifles.

It's no different then how Savage phased in the centerfeed magazines across the line over the span of a couple years.

The reason for the change (or very slow transition/phase-in as it is) is that the new style consists of fewer parts so it's cheaper to manufacture. In other words, Savage found a way to shave a few pennies off their bottom line by going to the new style firing pin assembly they've been using in their other models. This is also why so many package guns now come with the Axis style DBM and the "bottom metal" is molded in as part of the synthetic stock - it's cheaper to produce which increases their profit margin.

You have to remember, Savage could care less about us - the folks who work on our own guns and/or want consistency so that it's easier to find aftermarket or replacement parts. They're in the business of making and selling complete guns - not gun parts or projects for us to tinker with.

bower4311
03-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Very true.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2