PDA

View Full Version : SSS bolt handle question

G22inSC
01-17-2010, 02:44 PM
I just installed a new SSS tactical bolt handle. The action is now much more difficult to open and close (on empty chamber). The rifle is new and unfired (by me) so I don't have the stock bolt handle lift to really compare to. It seems as though there is already metal rubbing and wearing at the point where the bolt handle and rear baffle first come into contact. Is this normal? I have only worked the action 20 or so times in the garage and can already see the wear marks. There is finish rubbed off the bolt handle and visible metal on metal wear on the rear baffle. You have to make a conscious effort to lower the bolt handle, otherwise you will possibly not give enough force and effort to close the action. What do you'll think? Is this something to be concerned about or just let it break-in and see what happens.?

lwink
01-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I just experienced something similar to this with a DIY handle from SSS, new action was very hard to open with SSS handle and fine with factory knob. Due to tolerances from both manufacturers, some filing/grinding of the SSS handle was needed for smoother operating. The only pieces that should touch are the cocking ramps of the handle and baffle. If there are marks anywhere else on either piece the metal should be removed from the SSS handle to make clearance. Mine was binding as it slid under the baffle, so I would check that area out first and remove a little metal if necessary. I have also rounded off the handle cocking ramp on them before to break the sharp edge and this seemed to smooth the lift a bit -- be careful though, if too much goes your knob is ruined.

Blue Avenger
01-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Due to tolerances from both manufacturers, some filing/grinding was needed for smoother operating.

why some places will only sell to gunsmiths.

G22inSC
01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I just experienced something similar to this with a DIY handle from SSS, new action was very hard to open with SSS handle and fine with factory knob. Due to tolerances from both manufacturers, some filing/grinding of the SSS handle was needed for smoother operating. The only pieces that should touch are the cocking ramps of the handle and baffle. If there are marks anywhere else on either piece the metal should be removed from the SSS handle to make clearance. Mine was binding as it slid under the baffle, so I would check that area out first and remove a little metal if necessary. I have also rounded off the handle cocking ramp on them before to break the sharp edge and this seemed to smooth the lift a bit -- be careful though, if too much goes your knob is ruined.

This is exactly what mine is doing. I contemplated taking a bit of metal off the bolt handle but was not sure if I should do that or just let the two pieces wear as they break-in. The wear point is on the ramp of the rear baffle.