PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: savage 99 loading problems

Lenny99
03-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi all,
I have a 99 take down model in 22 HI power. I got the gun and it was in pretty rough shape. I have since completely disassembled it and now in the process of refurbishing it.

Here's my problem. I discovered the magazine (brass) is quite knicked up and the cartridge guide was bent. Obviously its been an issue from day one. I have throughly cleaned it and fixed the cartridge guide(which is cracked but is working) I can't get more than 3 shells into the magazine, when trying to put the 4 one in, it won't go around.

What I see is the third catridge is getting caught on the left side of the receiver and won't go into the brass rotor when trying to push the 4 cartridge. I think. Has any one seen/heard/experienced this problem?? Solution?? I was thinking of polishing/grinding some of the left side to get it from getting caught. Thoughts on this?

Mad Dog
03-03-2013, 07:39 PM
From what I'm reading I'd think that either the rod that holds the spindle in the receiver is worn out or the spindle itself is finished. I'd look into buying a new one. The 22 H.P. is based on the 30-30 Win cartridge and the same parts for it will work with the 22 H.P.

I wouldn't go gringing away the side of the receiver with a problem like this, could even be your spring tension.

If it is your spring tension, go to the 24 hour campfire and in the "misc" sticky at the top of the page it will walk you through step by step on how to re-adjust your spring tension.

Lenny99
03-03-2013, 09:06 PM
From what I'm reading I'd think that either the rod that holds the spindle in the receiver is worn out or the spindle itself is finished. I'd look into buying a new one. The 22 H.P. is based on the 30-30 Win cartridge and the same parts for it will work with the 22 H.P.

I wouldn't go gringing away the side of the receiver with a problem like this, could even be your spring tension.

If it is your spring tension, go to the 24 hour campfire and in the "misc" sticky at the top of the page it will walk you through step by step on how to re-adjust your spring tension.

The spindle rod is great. thats not it. I did not know the spindle was the same one used for the 30-30. Thats great to know. I have the American Gunsmith Institute video which shows how to set the spring tension. Thats not it either. I have played with it alot and I now think the problem is the cartridge guide. When trying to push the fourth cartridge in the third fails to go down into the spindle and jams against the top of the reciever. I think this has been a problem on this gun from day one. Why I think this is what I saw on the video. Where the feed ramp is, the guide is out about an 1/8" into it. From what I saw isn't it suppose to be flush with the side? Also isn't the ramp on the guide that stops the spindle/lifts the cartridge suppose to be squared off? mine isn't! From all the knicks and gouges, I'm pretty confindent in saying there has been more than one person trying to "fix" this gun.

Thank you so much for the reply!!!

Mad Dog
03-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Hmmm.....could be the cartridge guide, or it could be the automatic cut off as well. Is the spring working properly behind the cut off guide?

A cartridge guide shouldn't be a hard item to find either, Numrichs should carry them. With the buttstock off the rifle it should be fairly easy to see if everything is functioning correctly.

Lenny99
03-04-2013, 10:07 PM
The automatic cutoff is working properly. Spring is not broke and works great. I have a contact number of a gunsmith that has a 22 hi power in the take down model. I hope to call him tomorrow and see what he says also try and get a desciption of the gun he has and to the relationship of the cartridge guide to the feed ramp.

Again, thanks so much for the input!

Mad Dog
03-05-2013, 10:19 AM
If you need a tech term you've got a model 1899H, fairly common model for the 22 H.P caliber.

If I had one of them here I'd take a look at mine for you but the only TD model I have is a 99K in 303 Savage so I don't know how it would compare with yours although I'd hazard a guess that it doesn't matter if it's a take down model or not when it comes to the internal parts of an 1899.

Lenny99
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
I have since talked with the gunsmith that has one. He has no problems loading his gun. We talked at length about what is going on. The rotor/spindle/carrier is worn on the blades. The cartridge wants to ride on top of the seperation blades instead of going down like it should. I have a new cartridge guide and alas, it was not the problem. So I am now looking for a rotor in 22 HP or 30-30. Does anyone have one they are willing to part with?? They sell (if you can find one) for 30 bucks or more. I am willing to buy and pay for shipping? I have looked on the net and nothing there just a 250-3000 which will not work.

Mad Dog
03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
I'll have a look, I have some but I think they're 303 Sav and 358 Win.

Lenny99
03-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks mad dog. I'll look at the dimensions on the 303 and see if its a possible fit. Also going to check with another guy locally that might have one. Heard through the grapevine that he's a collecter, might have parts.

Lenny99
03-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Well that was a dead end. I have looked at the dimensions of the 303 and it is very close to the 22 HP. I think it will work. Any thoughts on this?

Lenny99
03-21-2013, 04:27 PM
OMG I found a complete assembly in 22 HP. Jack First had one! I could not believe it! Its on its way!! God I hope this fixes my problem!

Mad Dog
03-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Nice find, I see he gets alot of positive feedback on alot of forums, must run a great parts shop.

Lenny99
03-21-2013, 07:42 PM
I ordered the parts manuals. looked up the part number and called. Just amazed. Nice place to call also. Once I get the part I'll update with what Happens!

Lenny99
05-03-2013, 09:13 AM
I have been busy. The new/used spindle did the trick! It works great. Heres some food for though, it is completely different than the one that was in there????? the spindle is stamped 22 but the internal parts are different?? Oh well it now works thats all that matters. I hope to finish this project this summer and post some pics.