PDA

View Full Version : Help with boresighting a model 112

quarterbore
03-01-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm trying to boresight the rifle using a sitelite laser but am having problems running out of adjustment. The rifle has a round receiver on the front and flat on the rear. I'm assuming that it is designed to give me more adjustment at longer range compensating for bullet drop, but I'm about 10 inches high at the 25 feet that the instructions tell me to originally adjust at. I've used the laser on multiple other rifles and never had a problem.

Kill N Grill
03-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Did you use the propper base? There is a specific base for the flat rear Savages. I would check that first.

243LPR
03-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Just pull the bolt and look down the barrel,then make scope adjustments until they match whatever you're aiming at. It'll get you on paper at least and then fine tune from there.

quarterbore
03-02-2013, 08:47 AM
The base was on the rifle when I bought it. It is a Leupold, flat in the rear round in the front. For long distance shooting, wouldn't I want the base to actually cant down in the front instead of up?

wbm
03-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Just pull the bolt and look down the barrel,then make scope adjustments until they match whatever you're aiming at. It'll get you on paper at least and then fine tune from there.

That will gitter done.

quarterbore
03-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Well i tried that and was still way off. I ran into town and got a couple of Weaver bases 46 & 61 and remounted the scope, now I'm dead nuts. When I removed the Leupold base it was stamped 110RL which I'm assuming is a 110 action, right hand long action. Either way, I"m good to go now.

65impala
03-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Glad you got it figured out, sounds like some kitchen table gunsmithing gone bad by the previous owner!

As to sighting in, the previous mentioned method of sigthing down the barrel and matching the scope is what I do and I can typically get it within an inch or two at 100 yards by this simple method. Never found a good use for a boresight tool ;)

J.Baker
03-02-2013, 04:20 PM
110 or 112 wouldn't make a difference, but who ground the flat on your action would. Unfortunately it took Savage 45 years to figure out that their monkeys in the factory were creating problems with said flat's when they would polish the actions. More often than not the flat would end up being canted to one side or the other or over-polished to where it was too low - which sounds like the case here. This is where shims come in handy.

quarterbore
03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
If the rear of the base wasn't thicker than the front, it would make a difference on the flat top rear reciever. The front of the scope was actually canted up away from the barrel

poorbuthappy
03-02-2013, 07:25 PM
That would make it shoot low.

quarterbore
03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Correct, but I ran out of adjustment on my vertical. I had it dialed all the way down and was still at least 10 inches off

poorbuthappy
03-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Ahhhh. Well glad you got it figured out...

quarterbore
03-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Me too, I was starting to get irritated. If I had stepped back and looked at my other flat top's I would have noticed it right away.

quarterbore
03-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Well I took the rifle back out today and my elevation in perfect. I'm pretty close the the edge of my windage adjustment. I'm within 10 click from being all the way left. Can I get away with shaving about .0025 off the edge of my Weaver base in order to pull the rear ring over a little?