PDA

View Full Version : Hogue full bedded stock or bed their pillar model?

Shootnstuff
03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
I was looking for opinions on buying a hogue full bedded stock vs glass bedding their pillar bedded model. It is for a Stevens 200 with 7mm mag cbi varmint contour barrel. I have never bedded a stock before but I do have devcon and kiwi shoe polish on hand, and feel with various web guides I could do a bedding job. Would I end up with much greater accuracy bedding it myself or would ordering hogues full bedded factory work just as well. Thank you in advance.

JCalhoun
03-03-2013, 12:55 PM
A good bedding job sometimes helps but never hurts.

derrelw
03-06-2013, 09:44 AM
My Remington 700 SPS Tactical came with the pillar bedded Hogue stock. It was very comfortable to shoot but I had to shim the action in front of the front take down screw to keep the barrel free floated on bags or a bipod. I've seen guys on the Remington 700 forum try to stiffen up their piller bedded Hogue stocks but have varied sucess. If you go for a Hogue stock go for the one with the full aluminium bedding block.

My 700 now rides in a Stockys Hart Long Range Tactical/Target stock with the Accublock and I LOVE it.

Bullhed78
03-06-2013, 10:58 PM
I went with the full bedded Hogue and am happy with it. My friend has the pillar bedded Hogue on his Remington which he is happy with but the forend of his seems a bit flimsy. My full bedded stock is nice and stiff. All that being said, I don't believe I got any improvement out of accuracy with the Hogue over the Accustock but I don't believe it hurt accuracy. Accuracy is a wash. The Hogue stock is way more comfortable for me but the P.A.D buttpad on the Accustock is much better than the buttpad on the Hogue. If you already have an Accustock there is no reason to switch to the Hogue ecxept for the feel of the overmolded stock. If I had to do it all again I probably would just because I love the feel of a Hogue but that's the only reason.
Disclaimer: I am a complete noob to bolt action rifles but these are results I have seen first hand.

Cramer06
03-07-2013, 11:33 PM
How do the stocks fit with only two barrel size options? I'm about to get a varmint contour barrel and am wanting a Hogue stock, but not sure how a "heavy" barrel stock fits a varmint barrel. I'm assuming there will just be more space between the stock and the barrel, but how much?

Bullhed78
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I had a 10/22 with a bull barrel and Hogue stock.The 10/22 stock was not full bedded. The barrel was not free floating in that set up so I put the standard barrel on the gun with the bull barrel stock. There was a substantial amount of space between the barrel and stock. I didn't bother me, I kinda think it looked cool. With that being said; my Savage 116 has a standard contour barrel and I put the full bedded Hogue stock on it for the standard contour. The barrel is free floated in this configuration and looks nice. The only way I would put the heavy barrel Hogue stock on a standard contour barrel is if it wasn't the full bed stock so you had room between the stock and barrel to compensate for the flex of a pillar bedded Hogue.