PDA

View Full Version : lapua brass - chamfer or not?

hershey
01-17-2010, 07:47 AM
on virgin lapua brass, i have read several post/articles where i've seen people say that they plug a primer, powder, bullet in it and head to the range. i tried loading some w/ and w/out chamfering and deburring and didn't feel or see much difference....

GaCop
01-17-2010, 09:11 AM
For Lapua I usually give a light chamfer to the inside of the neck to facilitate seating match bullets.

1Shot
01-17-2010, 11:32 AM
...I always chamfer the outside of the neck, then hit them with a VLD tool for the inside...

stevec
01-17-2010, 12:55 PM
I always deburr flash holes. Lapua brass is not as bad as other brass but you can still see "leaves" on the inside of the flash hole.

I just worked over 100rnds of win223 last night and culled 10 because the flash hole wasnt punched in the center of the primer pocket....Wish I would have bought Lapua. But this will go in my AR and I figure I will loose to many.

Steve

MikeCTX
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I always deburr flash holes. Lapua brass is not as bad as other brass but you can still see "leaves" on the inside of the flash hole.

I just worked over 100rnds of win223 last night and culled 10 because the flash hole wasnt punched in the center of the primer pocket....Wish I would have bought Lapua. But this will go in my AR and I figure I will loose to many.

Steve

Steve, look at some LC brass for the AR..IMO it is much better than the RP or WW but not as costly as the Lapua (does seem shame to use Lapua on AR). Don't shoot an AR but my brother does, so we have compared brass - though he still goes for what is cheap to spray on the ground. :D

82boy
01-17-2010, 02:04 PM
I find that Lapua brass is the best, but it does need some work to make it perfect. I don't worry about the brass until the first firing. (Meaning I leave it alone, or set it up so that it can be fire formed.)
The only work I do on new brass is, I expand the necks and then run them through my sizing die. After I fire them, I then length trim them all to a uniformed length. I use an inside neck reamer, and just touch the start of the neck giving them a chamfer, I then finish them out with a chamfer tool. (Both inside and outside.) I then go in and uniform the primer pockets. I only debur the flash hole on the larger flash hole rounds. (223, ETC) The small flash hole rounds,( 220 Russian/6PPC, 6x47 lapua, 6br.) I don't mess with them. I may also cut .001 off of the neck thickness.

LG
01-17-2010, 03:58 PM
... does seem shame to use Lapua on AR).

I've seen worse... A co-worker of mine uses Lapua brass on an AK-47. The rounds are loaded with a Lee hand press, the powder charge is measured with one of those little scoops, and the bullets are his own hand cast bullets, all wrinkled, straight out of the mold (not sized).

Tightgroups
01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Even with 308 Lapua brass, I like to trim just enough to smooth off and square up the mouth of the case, and always chamfer and debur, then I twist the neck mouth once or twice flat on a 3-M green scrub pad to remove any small burs.
Its more important if your loading flat base bullets, but I do it anyway.
Mike.