PDA

View Full Version : how to get most out of new .243 200?

Pages : [1] 2

mattri
01-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Tried a search sorry if this has been covered.

Just brought home a Stevens 200 in .243.
This gun will be for target shooting and small varmints.
Won't be using this as a hunting rifle.
Will be using handloads.
How can I get the most accuracy out of this gun?
Good load development and lots of practice obviously.
Is there anything that tends to pay off particularly well with these models?
Any tips or links appreciated, Matt.

handirifle
01-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Since it will be for small varmints and targets try bullets in the 70-85gr range and H4350 powder. A Hard combo to beat. Best I ever got from my savage 243 (old "J" series) was the H4350 and the Sierra 85gr HPBT Gameking bullet. Just for the record, this IS a good deer bullet as well, should you change youe mind. ;)

Three44s
01-17-2010, 02:02 AM
I have killed enough coyotes with a Ruger 77V to earn myself eternal disdain from PETA with the Hornady 75 gr. HP and Dupont 4350 (IMR 4350).

Not a one of them had the nerve to argue with that rifle or my first .243 .... a Winy 670 ........ ;D

Three 44s

lwink
01-17-2010, 02:11 AM
think hard about picking up a duramaxx aftermarket stock for it, which you could make even better by reading the article about that in the technical article section on this site. If you don't want to go that route, just bed the current stevens stock and make sure the barrel and tang are really floating and not touching the stock anywhere -- probably will have to open up the barrel channel just a touch as they normally make contact somewhere. With some good load development you should be able to easily go sub moa, maybe approach .5 with a decent bedding job. Also think about a new SSS Competition trigger or at least do a little work to your current trigger -- good info on the internet about that. Have fun with it!

possum1
01-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Do Like everyone said here. I'm new to this forum and don't know alot about the savage. All I done to mine to get it shooting consistant was to get the stock away from the barrel "floating" and do the trigger. I've never had a rifle that shoot's this well. +1 on the imr4350 with 75's.

mattri
01-17-2010, 02:52 AM
Great replies thanks. Down the road I would like to look into a different stock. I'll check out the duramaxx, any good laminates to keep in mind?

I'll probably replace the barrel with a heavier varmint contour later as well, any suggestions?

The Savage website says it is a 9.25 twist, what's the spread for bullet weights? Thanks again, Matt.

CJ in WY
01-17-2010, 03:25 AM
I tend to got light (55Noslers) for speed and heavy (105 Amaxes) for distance. Your unit should shoot both and anything in between. Dont worry about getting to the lands with the 55s as it aint likely to happen but they shoot good off the lands as long as you figure out where and keep it consistant.
Freefloat the barrel and back tang, and rework the trigger (it should go down to 3lbs or replace with one that will) and move the sling stud back a couple of inches(if you use a bipod).
Dont worry about the first groups out of it , they can take some time to break in. Along these lines keep track of groups and cleaning intervals (most like to be a little to a lot dirty)
I personaly wouldnt let the plastic stock or thin barrel worry you. A varmint contour may let you shoot longer than a sporter but it cools slower too. The plastic stock is about as light as they get and is very usable in most conditions.

Bad Water Bill
01-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Most of our sponsors can get you one If you are in to something different check out
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

click on the 6th item on the left side (rimfire stocks) andscroll down to Indian Blanket ($50 extra) I have never seen this pattern elsewhere.

BobT
01-17-2010, 09:07 AM
My two favorite .243 bullets are the 85 grain Sierra HPBT Gameking and the 70 grain Sierra Blitzking, I have had great results from both bullets on paper, ground hogs and coyotes. My absolute hands down favorite powder for the .243 is IMR 4350. There are a bunch of good laminate stocks out there just pick a color and style you like.

Probably the best tip I can think of is don't cheat yourself on optics, buy the absolute best you can afford, there are lots of great scopes out there and most of us have our own preferences, mine is Leupold, VX-2 on up, I don't have any use for the VX-1 or Rifleman series. I have also used Burris (Fullfield II is in the same category as the Leupold Rifleman IMO), Bushnell (3200 on up), Sightron, Zeiss and Nikon the Vortex scopes are making quite a stir also, any of them will serve you well.

Bob

fatdaddy
01-17-2010, 10:36 AM
If I could only do one thing to a stevens to improve the way it shot. I would sure work on the trigger. If funds were limited, I would find some light wire and stone the rest as per instructions found here. If I had a 100.00 to spend, it would get a SSS trigger. Make the trigger right and watch your groups be cut as much as half. I have 2 BTW. Bill

mattri
01-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Really appreciate all the great tips.
I'll deffinetely be working on the trigger.
For now I have a Nikon 4.5-14x40 that I'll be putting on it.
Really looking forward to getting some loads worked up, I've been loading for my .270 and in comparison the selection of bullets for the .243 is amazing.
The stock and barrel swap won't be for a while, want to see how well it can do as is. A buddy of mine has a 200 in .223 and if this gun shoots as well as his I will be very happy.

BrentWin
01-17-2010, 10:03 PM
The best and cheapest thing that you could do is to spend $12.00 on a membership here. That will give you access to the technical articles and the classified ads, from there, the sky's the limit.

handirifle
01-17-2010, 10:07 PM
As for the twist question, the 9.25 should handle any bullet ehre is for the 243, EXCEPT the over 100gr VLD designs. They need a 1-8 twist, but those are target bullets.

The 1-8 is something you might want to consider if and when you do replace the barrel and want LONG range performance on paper.

Three44s
01-18-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm with BrentWin on the membership idea!

Also, I'd check with Northlander (vendor here) and get one of his Three screw triggers and then (I believe) 243shooter a member and send a SASE to him and he'll place cut pieces of .041" wire for you to make 3 or 4 trigger springs for your current and future projects ....... FOR FREE and send it back to you.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,27841.0.html

Scroll down till you get to the post from 243shooter ..........

I'd just get a three screw trigger (and switch to the .041" spring) and not waste time on your two screw. I just played with my two screw and for the investment ...... make the jump!

Three 44s

mattri
01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the ggod tips. Hope to get a scope mounted this wknd and start load development from there.

mattri
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Just picked up some IMR4350 and a box of Sierra HPBT 85grns. Just need to get some brass and a set of dies. I live in a really small town so I was lucky to find these. Probably have to get the dies online.

calib
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I bought the same gun two novembers ago, and don't think i will ever sell it. I am shooting 85grn sierra bthp's with 37.8grn of varget going about 3130fps 2.610 OAL all i have done to it is open the barrel channel, lightened the stock trigger painted it all, and it shot a 1.69 32" @ 300 and a 2.67" group @ 440yds saturday afternoon.

after reading this post and just joining the forum as a member i am sure i will figure a few other things out to mess with on this gun.

mattri
01-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Thats great to hear, I went back and forth on whether to get the 4350 or Varget but no-one in town had the Varget, so 4350 it was.

BobT
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Just picked up some IMR4350 and a box of Sierra HPBT 85grns. Just need to get some brass and a set of dies. I live in a really small town so I was lucky to find these. Probably have to get the dies online.

I predict you will be very happy!

Bob

mattri
01-31-2010, 07:28 PM
For those shooting the 75 grn bullets how much of the IMR 4350 are you using?