PDA

View Full Version : neck turning for 260?

simplerider
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
I have read about having to neck turn 260 cases that are sized up or down from 243, 7-08, and 308 (typically using high end brass i.e. Lapua, Nosler, Norma). I have also read that some have not had to turn necks at all, they just resize, load and fire with no problems (typically using Winchester or Remington brands from what I gather).

How do you know when you need to neck turn?

Does anyone have any experience with resizing the different brands of brass?

derrelw
02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
I"m not sure about neck turning, I just use Lapua .260 brass.

simplerider
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
As much as I would like to use lapua 260 brass, the price and availability is out of my possibilites right now. Ive shopped around for Lapua 260 brass and all places i looked at are either backordered for several months or out of stock with no backorder. So I have to resort to something more available. I have been slowly aquiring 243 Winchester brass, with a few bags of 7-08 win and rem brass.

Unfortunately I decided to start building a new rifle a week after the Sandy Hook incident and the gun ban circus act has drastically hindered my efforts in gathering supplies.

derrelw
02-27-2013, 10:59 AM
the gun ban circus act has drastically hindered my efforts in gathering supplies.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain. Good luck.

BillPa
02-27-2013, 11:56 AM

By far the easiest and most accurate method is by making a chamber cast.

Bill

simplerider
02-27-2013, 02:21 PM
By far the easiest and most accurate method is by making a chamber cast.

Bill

How exactly would I go about that?

Also, when do neck donuts occur? is it during resizing or after firing?

stomp442
02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
If sizing up from 243 you shouldn't have to turn but when sizing down you might. The trick i like to use is take a lighter or a candle and put some soot around the neck and shoulder area and then carefully chamber. Pull it out and if there is any shiney spots thats where the neck is touching.

davemuzz
02-27-2013, 04:42 PM

Simple. You try it. Take ten cases and neck turn 'em and load 'em up the same as you do the cases that are not turned. Then go shoot 'em and compare the groups.

You can shoot 5 rounds of un-turned ones, let your barrel cool for 5 minutes, then shoot 5 rounds of turned ones, let your barrel cool....ect, ect. ect. Or you can shoot an un-turned one at a target #1, then the next turned one at target #2, then the next un-turned at target #1, ect, ect.

Just be consistent at what your doing so you can get consistent results to see if it makes a difference in YOUR rifle.

Dave

BillPa
02-27-2013, 07:06 PM
How exactly would I go about that?

when do neck donuts occur? is it during resizing or after firing?

You use Cerrosafe to make a chamber cast. Its not difficult.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DByaASz_HNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voMp0IQwDLU

I can't say for sure when donuts form, some say only when resizing and others when firing. I say they're a result of both. The only time they cause problems is when bullets are seated on or past them. If you want to check for them run a gauge pin or pin turned just under the sized neck ID to check.

Bill

Luckus
02-28-2013, 10:16 PM
IMO you will save alot of time and money and aggravation by just buying 260 cases. Their is a great deal of info on he net regarding neck turning, and I went through a phase of it myself. I found it to be a waste of time, and also a waste of cases if you don't do it right or even if you do do it right. You got some good answers to your question, but my advise would be to try it without first. Luckus