PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Brass

mrrabk
02-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Just wanted to give a small review of this company.
The Mrs. as a surprise gift, found this company who sells once fired mil. brass. In this case 7.62/.308. She ordered a 250 lot and when it arrived I knew I was the luckiest man on the planet. (she's a keeper and after 30+ years that's good!)

The order was upgraded for processing, which includes basic cleaning, removing primer crimp and sizing. Lot consisted of all LC with dates of 06/07.

I began to measure cases and realized trimming was in order for most, so I'd do them all. I also wanted to see if I needed to set back the shoulder to match my rifles. This is where the wrench hit the gears and locked up. All but one (which had not been processed) were way short! Using both Honady and RCBS precision mic (which I have records of fire formed and factory brass), I found the sized cases to be .020-.025 short. That's more head space than I want to use....lol. that tight of a workable chamber wouldn't cycle factory stuff! All other dimensions where spot on and webs were in great shape.

Well, contacted Nevada Brass to inquire and inform them of the excessively short/over sized brass. Spoke to a great guy there, who I believe is the owner, and told him the situation and that this could be a safety issue if someone isn't checking prior to reloading. He agreed strongly and said to ship the lot back, he would personally inspect and send out a new shipment asap that he would confirm the measurements. He stated that they were using a case guage (wilson or other) and hadn't seen the issue. I told him I would separate several with dimensions written on them so he could confirm. I told him I also did the shim trick and chambered several until they wouldn't and sure enough, .020-.025 (for my chambers) was the undersized length. Most were at the 1.605 length to datum with some even shorter.

So far the interaction has been good and we'll see how it comes out. The test of a company is how they handle this type of thing. As of right now, they are on the good side of customer service. He appreciated that there are those of us who also wish to assist and make sure no one gets hurt through a fault of theirs or their equipment.

The wife is upset thinking she fouled up, but I assured her that she is an "11" out of 10!!!

To be continued......

mrrabk
03-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Just a quick update. Received word today that the new lot (250) of cases have been shipped. They credited me for the shipping cost I incurred sending the other batch back and assured me the new batch was inspected for proper sizing and not undersized as the last batch was. They thanked me for bringing this to their attention to help them better their product and customer satisfaction.
I'll have to say that, at this point, their customer service has been excellent and prompt. If the new batch measures out right, I will use them again and recommend them based on my dealings with them.

65impala
03-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up / review and I hope to hear that the new shipment comes in at the correct length! Sounds like a good company to deal with :)

65impala
03-07-2013, 01:08 PM
also, do you have a link for the company? When I google'd it I only came up with brassman, who is out of Nevada and has done good by me in the past. Is this the same company or is there another??

mrrabk
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
65impala, let me find it and see if i can link it. It is weird as it comes up under a company SHS which is the primary owners main business and is some kind of medical billing or software company. Standby.

mrrabk
03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.shs-products.com

Here you go.

65impala
03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks pard.

George

mrrabk
03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Final update....

Got the new batch in Saturday. Mixed head stamps, all LC, of 04, 06, 07. Majority 07.
Separated by stamping, measured and removed any that were under 1.620, which wasn't many. Majority were 1.625/1.626 which is about perfect for my chambers. Even with a few in the 1.620 or <, I still had a few over the advertised quantity of order. Owner credited the shipping and my return shipping as well as no charge for shipping new batch.
Got an e-mail from the owner and to my surprise he told me the issue with the first batch and thank me for bringing it to their attention. (their dies were set to deep and since they are using Dillion which are SB dies, it was bumping the shoulders back to far) He also is developing a sizing lube and once it is finalized from the materials lab, he'll send me a free sample to try and give feed back.
Will I recommend them to others...absolutely! Are they a stand up company, yes as proven by how they treated me. The fact that they were transparent on the issue, took care of it for customer satisfaction quickly and credited back shipping costs tells me a lot about the company and owners.

eddiesindian
03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
good find.
my old lc brass is starting to show its age but rightfully so. Ive loaded up my old LC maybe (give or take) 25 times. I know one main reason for the longivity is I was collet sizing for some time but Ill be the 1st to admit...."its time"
Im sold on LC....thanks for the sharing the find.