PDA

View Full Version : 22BR: Difference between 6mm BR and 6mm BR Norma?

snowgetter1
02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Thinking of a 22BR barrel for my Striker. Is there a difference between Remington 6mm BR brass and 6mm BR Norma? Just trying to figure out why they are listed differently. Is the 22br a "barrel burner"? Was also thinking of nitriding it. Thanks.

82boy
03-01-2013, 11:06 AM
There is a lot of myths out there on the difference on these two chamberings, some say that the base dimentioned are different, and all sort of houpla. There is no diference in the brass. The diference was done because when the cartridge first came out it was chambered for 40x silhouette pistols. The original chambering was for light bullet, in a slow twist chamber. When the round was excepted as a rifle cartridge, using heavier bullets, and faster twist, Norma made the neck length longer on the case so that it would not chamber in the Remington 40x pistols. So the original Remington br case had a shorter neck, and that is the only diference. Most dies you will find are marked "6 BR Remington." but they will also work with the 6 BR Norma chambering.

The 22 BR is an interesting cartridge, it can be loaded down to 223 velosity, or up to almost 22/250 velosity. The BR case with its shoulder angle is fairly friendly on barrels. Barrel life will mostly depend on who much powder you burn, and how hard you push your ammo.

As far as nitriding any barrel, I have yet to hear where this was an advantage, and I have heard more horror stories about this than anything elses. I would recamend you not doing this.

snowgetter1
03-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the very clear explanation 82nd. Still undecided between a 22br or 22-250. Cheap brass does lean me towards the 22-250.

82boy
03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Well, a 22br can preform like a 22/250 with less powder, so the cartridge is more efficeant. It all comes down to what your looking for in a cartridge. I would say the 22 br will have a better barrel life than a 22/250. I know what your saying about brass cost, but in all reality when you break it all down it is the cheapest part of a rifle build. Lapua 6 br brass is 103 per 100, Norma brass is around $90 per 100 Remigton 7 Br brass is 76.64 per 100. Now for 22/250 brass Norma is about the same price around $90 per 100, Nosler is around $88 per 100, Federal, winchester, and remington is all around $35 per 100. Now with all of this if you can even find it. I prefer the better end brass, and at that said the cost is hardly a diference.

A 22 Br can be problematic on feeding from a magazine, and in the Savage actions it will need tweeking to the ejector, and extractor to get it to reliabily extract. I can aslo say that some Savage bolt heads have problems with 22/250 as well. I would say if your going to do it either way go with a fast twist barrel like a 1 in 8. You can then shoot the heavy bullets as well as the lighter bullets. You may also want to look at the 22/250 AI, as it has a bit more horsepower, and does very well with the heavier bullets.

snowgetter1
03-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks again. This will be in a 16" or 17" Striker barrel. I also thought about the 22-250AI, just make go fast, but it seemd like it would be a waste of powder in the short barrel. And I agree with your 22BR opinion after laying out like that.