PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag swap

jadek
02-25-2013, 08:33 PM
I didn't even know wording to use on this in a search. I have a 111 w/dbm side release.. What are my options for a lighter caliber with out all kinds of extra changes other than a barrel swap and maybe a mag swap as well. I'm thinking 7/08 , 308..

bootsmcguire
02-25-2013, 10:59 PM
With that older style side button DBM I would say the limiting factor is going to be finding a new Mag for the '06 family of cases fi you want to keep the DBM. Otherwise you can put it in a blind mag stock and put on a regular staggerfeed blind mag and follower. Then all you need is a 30-06 sized bolthead for the long action and the barrel of your choice. I do know that 308 feeds perfectly fine out of a Long Action Staggerfeed DBM. 7-08, 260, or 243 should work equally well.

handirifle
02-26-2013, 12:16 AM
I would think you should be able to change out the follower and adjust the feed lips of the DBM, IF none are available. Check with Midway USA or Brownells or Numerich for what you need. I believe the springs for the followers are the same whether it's a magnum or std cartridge.

I have a rifle like you describe.

since you mentioned the 7-08, and you have a long action, here's what I suggest. I would go the 280 Rem or 280 AI (A standard SAAMI round now) since it's a better match up for the long action. Brass is easy to come by and not expensive, plus the 280 AI is within about 100fps of the 7mm Mag with less recoil and less powder usage. Recoil will be way less than the 300.

For the record, I would try to see how the cartridges feed through the magazine before ordering anything else. There's not a snots worth of difference between the mag follower and the '06 based one. I have both so i know this for a fact. I had changed my '06 to a 338 WM and the rounds actually fed BETTER from the '06 follower. I did have to adjust the feed lips a bit, but that is just trial and error.

handirifle
02-26-2013, 12:17 AM
By the way, last time I look, mags were available, but about $60 each.