PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper and Vortex tacticle ring height

jimbo88mm
02-25-2013, 02:11 AM
I've got a savage action with an EGW 0 moa base.

I am going to order a Standard Viper with the 44mm objective this week. I'm looking at the Vortex tactical rings (the 6 screw ~$20 ones). Will the low rings work or should I go medium? What if I go with a 50mm objective?

Thanks

scope eye
02-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Sorry I can't help you with ring height question, but I could not help myself in noticing your avatar, I am also a M1 Garand worshiper mine is a 1943 made by Springfield, man I tell you that thing is rock solid, sub moa never jams classic lines that will never go out of style, if this gun was a woman it would be a Cougar, seriously if you look at all this rifle can do for they age that it is, I really don't think we have come as far as we think we have, think about it, although I am probably preaching to the choir.

Tanks Dean

jimbo88mm
02-25-2013, 02:46 AM
:)

Mine is a 1944 Springfield. Very rare for mine not to tag along on a range trip regardless of what else I'm bringing.

scope eye
02-25-2013, 03:11 AM
My buddy has one made by Massey Ferguson, I make fun of him and his rifle all the time, I shouldn't because it's a great classic rifle, no matter who made it, and there was at least a half dozen MFG who made them, but hey poking fun at my buddies is one of life's simple pleasures.

Tanks Dean

scope eye
02-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Since I hijacked your thread, I figured the least I could do is look in to this, and this is what I found, I would go with the med ones at a min
for the 44mm and highs with the 50mm, the 44 is really 52mm and the 50 is really 58mm and as far as I can see "pardon the pun" you will not have a lot of daylight between the bell and the barrel, my crossfires have a 50mm AO but are actually 66mm.

Dean

J.Baker
02-25-2013, 08:16 AM
What's the thickness/height of the EGW base?
What's the O.D. of the objective bell on the Viper scope?
What are the heights (to centerline of ring) of the different ring heights?

All should be available from the manufacturer, then it's just a matter of simple addition and subtraction to see which height you need.

scope eye
02-25-2013, 08:33 AM
"This Vortex Tactical Ring positions the center of the riflescope tube at a height of 0.97 inches (24.6 mm) from the base.
Sold one ring per package."

That is a peculiar way of measuring rings, why just not say how high the base is,

Dean

missed
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
I have the viper vortex with 50mm on a 20moa egw with Burris tactical medium rings. I am sure mediums would do it. I almost think I could get away with lows due to the thickness of the base.

jimbo88mm
02-26-2013, 01:29 AM
What's the thickness/height of the EGW base?
What's the O.D. of the objective bell on the Viper scope?
What are the heights (to centerline of ring) of the different ring heights?

All should be available from the manufacturer, then it's just a matter of simple addition and subtraction to see which height you need.

Understood.. I just wanted to see if someone actually had that setup around here...

I measured the egw base with my dial calipers which gave me a height of .292 inches.
Low vortex rings are listed as .83 inches from center of scope.
That gives me a total height from bottom of base to scope center of 1.122 inches (28.49mm).

Vortex says the O.D. of the objective bell is 2.03 inches (51.56mm)

So I'm guessing I need to take the OD, divide by 2 and then subtract that from the total height.

51.56/2 = 25.78mm
28.49mm - 25.8mm = 2.71mm

If my math and logic are correct then this would cut it too close.. so it looks like I'm going with mediums.

Thanks

scope eye
02-26-2013, 05:27 AM
"If my math and logic are correct then this would cut it too close.. so it looks like I'm going with mediums"

Hey that's what I said. LOL

Tanks Dean

jimbo88mm
02-26-2013, 03:27 PM
"If my math and logic are correct then this would cut it too close.. so it looks like I'm going with mediums"

Hey that's what I said. LOL

Tanks Dean

I know, thanks :)