PDA

View Full Version : Pmags in dbm bolt guns

missed
02-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Thinking out loud here. Magpul has a 10 and 5 round .308 pmag that is supposed to be out soon, I'm wondering what it would take to use those mags since there $20 vs $100. I just ordered one of the twenty round ones to start looking at it.

243LPR
02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Mossberg MVP 308 does just that.

missed
02-24-2013, 08:06 PM
I think the FN patrol rifle does also. But with the less cost and better availability I'm kinda thinking about what it take to make them work.

big honkin jeep
02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I saw a thread on another forum where a fella had cut up an AR lower and by using the parts (I think he needed the magwell) adapted a Savage factory synthetic so that the rifle could use detachable AR mags. I have searched in vain to find the thread and probably should have saved the link long ago.

I was able to contact the poster of the thread I mentioned and this was our resulting PM chain

I seem to remember an old post you had made quite a while back about a project converting a bolt action rifle (I think it was a savage) to use AR mags. I was wondering if you either could give me a link or maybe some pointers on the process. Or maybe I'm just imagining things???
Thanks

It was me that did the AR mag bolt gun.
I did take a Savage 110 long action and turned it into a Pmag fed gun. It was a lot of work. I wish I would have had a mill and not just a dremel to do it with, it would have turned out MUCH better.

One thing to keep in mind is that the feed lips on the mag have to be opened up in order for the bolt to go thru them to pick up the round. Ive opened up 3 different mags, and I can still use them in my AR if I get in a pinch but I have them dedicated to the bolt gun just cause.

Also the action will have to be opened up side to side to allow the mag to sit high enough to feed. The action is plenty strong enough to take it though.

I used a 30% AR lower and cut the magwell off of it. I think next time I would just buy an 80% or even one of the cheap polymer lowers that are available now. Like the New Frontier that you can buy stripped ....

Its a lot of work to pull it off but it was a fun project.

Thanks for the response. I've been a Savage tinker for a long time and seemed to remember you had pulled this off. Sounds like a PITA but if it was easy everybody would be doing it I saw on another forum where someone was asking about something similar but couldn't find a link to your project. I'd like to re post your response to me over at Savage shooters with your permission of course if you don't mind.
Thanks

Go right ahead. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Ill answer the best I can and try and guide if you need it.