PDA

View Full Version : 10-FCP-K Muzzle Brake, change in zero expected when removed?

Joe L
02-24-2013, 02:59 PM
I took the muzzle brake off my Model 10-FCP-K a month ago for a local F-class match. At the time, I didn't notice much change in the zero, but I also changed box ammo at the same time, so I wasn't sure. I've been shooting Fusion 180 for a few weeks, zeroed without the brake. Last night I put the brake back on and went to the range this morning. It shot 4" high at 100 yards with no change (I think) but the brake.

I dialed down the zero and the resulting ammo grouped under 1", but with 1.1 mil change in zero. I think. I didn't have any tools to remove the brake and check it again.

Should I be surprised or is this just a result of the barrel vibrations changing when I changed the weight at the end of the barrel?

Joe

bodywerks
02-25-2013, 12:32 AM
I would expect a change, but not that much. Bring your tools to the range next time and test for yourself.

Joe L
02-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Yep, I can do that. If it really does make that much difference, I'm leaving the brake off. It does not affect group size, at least with the Fusion 180 I was able to buy, just the zero.

Joe

missed
02-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I have been getting ready to test this myself. I want to build a dummy brake that is the same size and weight and see if it will behave the same as the brake with point of impact.

Joe L
02-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Missed, I've got the heavy fluted barrel, so I'm not sure if my results will be consistent with yours. I'll try to check it this week, if the wind is below 20 mph and it isn't raining or snowing.

Joe

missed
02-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Mine is the heavy fluted also. I wish I could get one from savage before they machine the Ports and then machine off enough mass so they weigh the same.

Mine is the same gun, just bolt handle is on the other side

Joe L
02-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Missed--excellent idea. I'll weigh mine and see if I can make a weight the same and then shoot them both and compare. I'd love to be able to take the brake off for an F-class match without it affecting the zero, even if it means putting a weight on the end of the barrel in place of the brake.
Joe

pitsnipe
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
I have one of those "off handed" Mdl 10's as well. Mine is constant as to the POA/POI with and without the brake. So I simply make the change with the scope before shooting and then hit where I aim. Some bullet's/weights change more than others on vs off. But, guess Im lucky that its consistant. So I know what Im in for before I pull the trigger. But as of late (last 6 months) I have simply left the brake off. The weight of the gun (all decked out nearly 13 lbs) limits the recoil just fine. And a properly front loaded Bi Pod keeps me on target to see the impact.
Good shootin!

Joe L
02-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Pitsnipe, I think mine changes more with the Fusion 180's than with Federal Gold Medal Match. I have a fresh batch of FGMM ammo coming so I will be able to check it and the Fusion 180 rigorously late this week. Thanks for the note.
Joe

Joe L
02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
I shot a few rounds with the muzzle brake on at 100 yards yesterday. The Fusion 180 zeroed same as last Sunday. The new batch of Federal Gold Medal Match 168 SMK rounds zeroed 2 inches higher. Zeroed for the FGMM since I'm about out of the Fusion 180, noted the changes, and went home, took the muzzle brake off and put the thread protector on. Will try to shoot again oday (Thursday).

Groups with both rounds were good, with the FGMM slightly smaller. I only shot 15 rounds total. At today's prices, this is an expensive experiment. But, I need the trigger time.

Joe

bodywerks
02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
That's why you need to reload.

1983Weatherby
02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
I don't own a savage, but my weatherby after the brake install shot totally different and the POI was way off. I want to say 5" to the left and a few inches high

Joe L
02-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. Snuck off to the range during lunch today, after taking the brake off.

Without the brake, the Fusion 180 and GMMK 168 shoot nearly to the same zero. The GMMK shot 0.2 mil to the left but at the same elevation. The elevation change for the Fusion 180 was 5" (1.4 mil) low without the brake compared to with. I made a 1.4 mil correction to the elevation and both rounds shot same elevation. Made a 0.2 mil correction to the windage for the FGMM compared to the Fusion 180 and all is good.

The two rounds have close to the same zero without the brake. With the brake, the zeroes are much different. Group size without the brake are slightly tighter for the Fusion, no change with the FGMM.

I'm going to leave the brake off and shoot the FGMM at 547 yards this weekend. That will be the real test as I have shot 3-4" groups with the Remington Premier 168 SMK at that distance before.

I'm learning. Yes, I need to be loading my own.

Joe

Joe L
03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Got to shoot the Savage Model 10-FCP-K at 545 yards this morning at 6000 ft altitude in calm conditions, without the brake.

http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Model-10/i-xj5tBSt/0/M/EE505262-M.jpg

I guessed at the muzzle velocity, dialed in the calculated 3.9 mils and was off the paper, so I dialed in 3.2 mils and 0.3 right then shot 3 rounds to make sure I was on. The lower right 3 shot group was the result. Boy was I happy. Changed the dial in to 3.4 mils up and 0.1 right. The final result was the four shot group near the center.

This was with a new batch of Federal Gold Medal Match 168 SMK ammo. I have 200 rounds. I think these will work nicely in this gun.

This target is uphill and I couldn't get comfortable behind the gun prone. I shot from the bench, something I don't usually do, using a bipod and bag that I use prone. But it worked OK.
http://joelynch.smugmug.com/Firearms/Savage-Model-10/i-VRPX7B8/0/M/EE505263-M.jpg
Joe